22

The rain had escalated into a full-on downpour when you reached the doors. It fell in dense curtains, so thick you couldn't even see the other side of the street. People clustered in the meager shelter the entrance of the Academy offered, shivering and soaked. Rainwater pooled in puddles on the tiled floor.

Viktor made to pull his hood up, but his hands grasped air. He grimaced. "I've forgotten my coat."

You swept your arm to your sodden attire. "I didn't even have one to begin with."

You both stared at the wall of rain for a moment, as if your gazes alone would bring out the sun. It didn't.

"We could share the umbrella?" you offered meekly, holding it up. "I mean, it's yours after all, so you could always take it. I can't get much wetter anyway-"

"No," he said a little too quickly. "We can share - if you don't mind. I don't mind. But if you do, then by all means-"

You smiled and held it out to him. "I don't mind."

Your hands fumbled together for a moment as you decided who should hold it. It settled with Viktor, as the difference in your height meant that otherwise you'd have to stretch your arm up just to compensate for the gap. (Sorry for the lack of representation, tall readers)

The streets were quiet as you ambled along, chatting idly. People huddled under shops overhangs, pressing backs against walls to avoid the rain. Those that had means of protection against the downpour hurried along, head bowed, shoulders hunched.

You were acutely aware of how close you and Viktor were as you walked. The small size of the umbrella meant you had to huddle together to avoid getting dripped on. Every now and then, your elbows brushed, or your hands, your shoulders, your hips. You kept your mind firmly fixed on the conversation to stop your thoughts from wandering too far astray.

It wasn't until he stopped outside a storefront that you realized he'd been taking you somewhere.

It was a small shop, wedged between two buildings like a hill between mountains. The glass was foggy with condensation, and it emitted a warm glow into the otherwise grey street. You stepped to the side as a person stepped out of the door, which gave a merry jingle. In their hand, they clutched a tart of some sorts and a coffee.

You raised your eyebrows. "A cafe?"

He shrugged. "It's a way to get out of the rain for a bit."

"Count me in."

He held the door open, and you stepped inside. Immediately you were hit with the smell of coffee and baking and comfort. You practically melted.

It was a small shop. A couple tables - already occupied - were arranged by the window, opposite a neat countertop. A glass cabinet displayed the assortment of pastries on offer, and neat chalk boards above boasted the variety of beverages available. You eyed them hungrily, then balked as you saw the prices.

"What do you want?" Viktor asked, glancing to you.

You patted your pockets. The handful of change in them could barely even buy a cup of water from the place, let alone something decent. "I don't have any money," you said.

"It's fine. I'll pay for you."

"No, really," you insisted. "I'm fine. I don't want anything."

"Are you sure?"