5

The large, grand chamber was alive with hushed murmurs and anticipated glances. Warm sunlight streamed in through the huge glass dome above, making the pristine tiles shine pure white.

It was the next day.

The day of Jayce's trial.

Law wasn't usually a point of interest for you, but as you had had such an involvement in the case, you felt you needed to see the outcome of it all. A satisfying ending.

The Council had spared little time in announcing his trial; you had barely even made it home before news had broke out. It appeared his case was much more important than you had thought it to be.

Despite the poor man's protests and pleading, he had been taken from the apartment in handcuff by Grayson. You had emerged from your hiding spot to watch, keeping to the shadows out of fear of being caught snooping again.

Afterwards you had helped to carefully pack crates with all the unlicensed and unsafe items that were to be confiscated (which, as it turns out, applied to most of Jayce's belongings).

You had been given a hefty sum of money for your work. You suspected it was a silent deal of some sorts; we give you cash, you keep quiet.

Still, your work wasn't done yet. There was still a daunting pile of contraband for you to draw and log. To make it even more intimidating, due to the potential danger of it all, the only place you were allowed to carry out your work was in the Academy. And just to make it extra fun, you had a deadline: in two day's time, all of the equipment would be destroyed to ensure it would no longer be a threat.

You had procrastinated the night earlier and had decided to give yourself a night to rest before beginning the work. That, quite frankly, had been one of the worst decisions of your life. To get it all done within the given time frame, you had calculated you needed to draw around seventeen objects per hour. For at least eight hours. Over two nights. Not totally terrifying at all.

But for now, you tried to occupy your thoughts with the present.

People flanked either side of the wide double doors, creating a straight path down the middle. If you stood right on your tiptoes, you could just see the crescent of seats that sat Council. Made up of the most prestigious and intellectual people of Piltover, they governed over the city, controlling everything from education to trade, celebration days to waste collection. And, as shown today, the law.

Viktor fidgeted beside you, constantly adjusting his weight on his cane, shuffling his feet. You had spotted him when you first entered and, intimidated amongst the throng of gossiping strangers, edged through the crowd to stand beside him, grateful to see a familiar face. He had greeted you with a polite nod, but seemed overall preoccupied by his thoughts. His hazel eyes stayed fixed on the doors through which Jayce Talis would enter through, escorted by Enforcers and chained in handcuffs.

You weren't sure whether you hoped he would be deemed guilty or innocent. He had been harbouring illegal equipment and he had accidentally-on-purpose caused a near-fatal explosion. Yet from the way he had determinedly fought for his cause, you could tell he had meant no harm. He hadn't even meant for anyone to find out about it all. If only he'd had better locks.

Beside you, you watched as Viktor's hand flew instinctively to his waistcoat pocket for the fourth time that hour. He frowned, realised, then turned to you.

"What's the time?" he asked - for the fourth time that hour.

You took out his pocket watch from you bag and handed it to him. Before he could protest - for the fourth time that hour - you cut in.