16

You stood at the door, fist raised to knock, and hesitated.

You couldn't believe it. You actually couldn't believe it.

You were going to go to the Undercity. Willingly.

The week following Viktor's request you spent little tune doing anything other than thinking, worrying, and pondering (and more worrying for good measure).

You weren't sure what drove you out of bed in the ungodly hours of the morning, across the city, down the streets, to a surprisingly wealthy part of town.

Viktor had mentioned where he lived in a passing comment, and you had thought little of it until now when it popped conveniently back to mind. You expected a little apartment, similar to your own maybe, with little space and lots of books. He seemed like the kind of person to be relatively minimalistic in an extravagant way. You had forgotten - oh yeah - he was kinda sorta famous. Well, maybe not that- but definitely higher up the social ladder than you.

He lived on a street of tall, elegant houses, flanked by neat walls and spotless cobbles. On the outside, his appeared no different from the rest; tall, neat and demure. You wondered if you had the right address.

Glancing at your watch, you saw it was more than a few hours before midday. You regretted not inquiring further into when he intended to leave, as the only indication he had given was 'early' - whatever that meant. You weren't sure what qualified as 'early' for a man that probably never slept.

Steeling yourself with a breath, you stood a little straighter and knocked firmly on the door.

And waited.

You strained your ears, but heard no sound of life inside. Had he already gone? You considered leaving, but some part of you forced your fist to knock on the wood again.

You waited.

From the other side of the door came the rattling of locks being undone. Suddenly, you weren't entirely sure you wanted to do this. Was this really a good idea? Maybe you should turn. Maybe you should go. Go home and away and definitely not go to the Undercity-

The door swung open.

No turning back now.

Viktor stepped out, eyes widening when they landed on you.

"Hi," you said. From where you stood at the bottom of the steps, you practically had to crane your neck to look at him.

He blinked, as if not sure if you were really there. "Good morning."

A pause followed. You realized then you hadn't come prepared with anything to say. It seemed he was waiting for you to speak.

"I've decided to come," you said, trying to sound like you hadn't been debating you choice only moments before.

He raised his eyebrows, surprised, but you didn't need to elaborate. "Genuinely?"

"Why else would I be here?" You quoted his report from when he came to your house all that time ago. Had it already been months since then?

"Fair point. Do you... want to come inside?"

"Sure."

He stood aside and you entered the house and, for the second time that morning, were reminded of his status. The door opened onto a small yet tall foyer, panelled with dark wood and navy wallpaper. A long table ran the length of the wall to your left, ending at a coat stand laden with miscellaneous necessities. Opposite were two doors leading to rooms you couldn't see. Parallel to the entrance, a wide staircase disappeared into the ceiling.