||23||

•Chapter Twenty-Three•
Light in Him
(S.H.I.E.L.D Helicarrier)
REWRITTEN

THIRD PERSON P.O.V

Thor was the one to eventually break the silence that had been casted over the control center. His baby blue eyes focusing towards the Director calmly.

"I've come to retrieve Jane as well as confirm Lorien's safety." He explained quickly. Nick Fury stepped farther into the room, his lips pulled into a frown.

"So, my daughter is in Asgard? Why was I not made aware of this decision before hand?" He growled, his voice rising.

"There was not time for a detailed decision," Thor argued back, "Lorien had been attacked by a Chituari!"

Of course, the rest of the room had been informed on the matter, but with the Director being absent......he had been left out. Concern spread rapidly across his face and his frown fell.

"What happened?" Fury demanded. Thor curtly nodded before quickly describing the events of the night before. He described how he arrived at the cabin all the way to arriving in Asgard—deciding to leave out the events Loki's jailing, for the moment.

"Is Darcy okay?" Jane asked worriedly as Thor finished.

"Yes, as is Lorien." Thor explained, turning to face the Director again. "I do realize that apologizes must be made for the events that led up to this, though I do believe it was only a matter of time before both Loki and Thanos discovered Lorien's existence."

Fury was quiet—so was the present Avengers. Thor had just verbally expressed all of their thoughts. That didn't mean the former was happy with the realization but he could handle it for now.

"So I assume that this means that you will be taking refuge in Asgard?" Fury finally spoke, his tone slightly disappointed. Worry still laced his words. Worry for his daughter.

He hadn't meant for his words to sound the way they did—he hadn't meant for Lorien to think of her adoption the way she now did.

Perhaps when she was first brought to him—by the Allfather and one of Asgard's healers—he wasn't looking forward to having to care for a child. He didn't have time and the life he lived was too dangerous for a child to enter. He even had thoughts of finding her a proper foster home.

But that all went away two weeks after, Nick Fury fell in love with the child. He loved her—thought of her as his own flesh and blood. Lorien may have not been his biological daughter, but she sure as hell was his kid—and he'd do anything to protect her. He'd find a way around his dangerous life to keep her safe—and with the help of one of Asgard's healers helping him taking care of Lorien for her first five years, the task became almost easy.

And now, everything he had done to keep Lorien safe and out of the crossfire of the dangers of the universe, had blown up in his face.

"I will keep her safe, and I will return her to you." Thor suddenly explained as he observed the look of Nick's face. The Director was knocked out of his thoughts, shifting his attention to the God of Thunder. Thor curtly nodded at him before speaking again. "I swear."

~*~

LORIEN'S P.O.V

After Loki passed out for the second time, not once did I leave his side. Even when I dragged a chair that sat halfway across the room, to his bedside, my eyes were in his direction. Watching his even paler skin and tightly closed eyes—even with my own threatening to pull me down into sleep.

I sat there for what seemed like hours—and it probably was, seeing that Darcy had been moved to an actual room—before Frigga—who had previously left—reappeared in the room. Her dress—now a faded gold—fluttered gently across the floor. Her brows furrowed upon seeing me.

"My child," she greeted, "have you not been given a room?"

I quickly shook my head no, "I wanted to stay here

A soft, musical laugh escaped the Queen's lips as she drifted closer. "You have a very kind and determined soul, young one."

I felt my cheeks heat up a little.

"Thank you," I murmured meekly, looking back at my brother.

"No, thank you." Frigga mused, coming to sit on the very edge of the bed Loki rested on. This time my own eye brows drew together.

"Why?"

Frigga smiled softly, "for not dismissing him and seeing the light that he's tried to hide." Her head lightly nodded in Loki direction.

"You may be young," she began, "but I see in how you are determined to stay by Loki's side no matter what, even though you only just met him, that you are very mature for your age. You see that there is hope in bringing him back and you have set your mind on helping him."

Frigga reached out her hand to gently set it on mine, "so, thank you."

***

We sat by Loki for quite a bit longer before Frigga finally convinced me that it was okay for me to leave my brother side to rest. And trust me, it took a lot of convincing.

Frigga led me to a room, several hallways away from the healing room—a bedroom designated for visiting royals, Frigga explained. She also explained that I was welcome to use the room for the entirety of my stay. I thanked her tiredly before watching her walk away. I carefully pushed the golden door open.

And gasped.

My tired eyes widened at the size of my room. It was massive!

A giant four posted bed sat against the wall to my right, brown and black furs stretched across the expanse of it—calling me to run my fingers through it. On the left side of the room, there were two more doors, the first opened up to what I assumed was a bathroom/washroom. The second door—and I didn't know until I walked over to it to open it—was a huge walk in closet. It was empty—of course, but by the attire worn my the Asgardians I had seen so far, I assumed the closet would soon be filled with dresses if I stayed here for long.

I repressed a shudder.

I like dresses, I'm not going to lie—but the thought of dresses everyday? Made me a little sick.

And finally, opening from the farthest wall, was a balcony. My jaw dropped when I realized what it was and I rushed over to it.

I stepped out I the sunlight and gazed over the rail. The balcony over looked a giant massive courtyard that was filled with thousands of flowers and plants. My eyes widened again as they shifted over all of the different colors. It was absolutely beautiful!

I let a long sigh escape my lips before I slowly turned around—making a mental note that I would have to explore that courtyard once Loki got better.

I started back towards the bed, finding that I was about ready to pass out from how tired I was. I quickly slipped off my combat boots and pulled my jacket over my head before jumping up into the bed.

I sunk instantly.

"Oh...my...gosh." I breathed tiredly, "this is amazing."

I was out soon after that.