||35||

•Chapter Thirty-Five•
Guarded and Trapped
(UNKNOWN LOCATION)
REWRITTEN

Jakob offered to carry Darcy, and with slight hesitancy, I decided to trust him. And besides, I wasn't sure how much longer Addea and I could carry her.

"Do you know a way out?" It was the first words I had spoken to him since I had forgave him. Jakob clenched his jaw.

"Thanos blurred parts of my memory to make breaking free harder. Things like my wife, specific memories, as well as the ways in and out. The only time I've left was through portals." He explained, solemn. "But it's coming back, you were going the right way."

"I'll kill him."  Addea's voice was no more then a whisper.  Both Jakob and my gazes shot to her.

"You can't."  Jakob nearly hissed, teeth clenched together.  "He'll kill you the moment he sees you."

Addea grit her teeth, "then he won't see me."

There was fire in her eyes.  Jakob shook her head.

"Let's just get out of here first, before someone finds us."  Jakob said.  I didn't take long for all of us decided that that was the wrong thing to say.  The moment he finished speaking, a door at the end of the hallway slammed open.

The door hit the wall so hard, I swore I felt it.  An armored figure stepped through the threshold and I found myself staring into the soulless, black eyes of a Chituari—and my brother, unconscious, hanging by his own armor from the Chituari's right hand.

The air disappeared from my lungs.

His face was scattered with cuts, bruises lined his cheeks and jaw, and a thick stream of blood trickled down from his mouth.  His parts of his armor was torn off and his green tunic robe underneath was ripped and bloodied.

"Loki!"

I didn't realize I had spoken—or rather—screamed, until Addea's hand wrapped around my arm before I could shoot forward.  My heart pounded in my ears.

"Is that your brother?"  She asked, voice thin as her grip tighten on my arm.  I tried to pull away.

"Yes."

The Chituari let out a guttural roar, head cocking as it threw Loki in front of himself.  My brother clattered the ground, falling limp in a heap.

The Chituari begun raising his sword.

No.

They say everything goes into slow motion right before something tragic.  Every thing is happening so fast around you that it feels almost like everything's slowed.  That is what happened when I ripped from Addea's grip and surged forward.

I shot towards my brother, reaching up to rip my necklace off my neck as I ran.  It was cold against my palm and I didn't know if my plan would even work.

But I had to try.

The Chituari's sword was so, so close to my brother when I jumped over him and slid to shield him.  I threw my arm up, the Tessa Orb dangling against my hand.  I willed every since drop of whatever magic that ran through me into that necklace.  I pushed the warm, static feeling in my chest towards my arm, then my hand, imagining a barrier, a shieldanything between us and impeding death.

I squeezed my eyes shut waiting for the impact.

I heard the sword whistling through the air.

And my palm went cold.

And then, nothing.

No pain from the sword, just the clatter as it fell to the floor.  I felt weak.  My arms heavy and my head dizzy.  I peeked my eyes open.

Exploding from my necklace, was a circlet of delicate orange light that span out, shielding both me and my brother.  And on the other side of it, the Chituari laid on the floor—unmoving—as the sword laid next to him.  A breath escaped my lungs.

What did I just do?

I started to shake, lowering my hand.  The shield flickered before completely fading away but the coldness in my bones did not go away.  I forced myself to turn around and I rolled Loki over onto his back, brushing his onyx hair out of his face. 

His eyes twitched under his eyelids.  Relief flooded me.

Loki's eyes flashed open, drawing in a huge gulp of air.  I nearly started crying.  Loki starts up at me, his eyes wide before he sat up and pulled me to his chest. 

I threw my arms around him, burrowing my head into shoulder.  I let it all out.  Tears flooded down my cheeks and I hugged him tighter.

"You're okay."  My voice came out muffled and cracked, but I didn't care.  "You're okay."

***

We had made it, maybe twenty feet, before everything went to crap again. I had helped Loki to his feet and we were finally making progress. A for a few moments, I thought that we would finally escape.

Addea stiffened at my side, "something does feel right."

Her ears twitched and I watched as Jakob's did the same. I glanced up at Loki, dread filling my chest. His jaw was locked and his emerald gaze was hard.

"Dark magic." Jakob murmured. I didn't question his assumption—after what he had gone through, I felt he was the one who could decide that what we were sensing was dark magic. He deserved the benefit of the doubt.

And I guess we were right to worry.

A familiar metallic tang scent—the same as the one from the dungeon—wafted down the corridor and before I could comprehend what was happening, Addea collapsed. Her body went limp like a rag doll and she hit the floor with a dull thud.

Faster then lightening, Jakob had set Darcy down and had crouched beside his wife's side. Her eyes were wide and filled with horror. Her mouth was open and gapping but not a single sound escaped her throat.

My blood went cold.

And from the look on Jakob's face, so did his.

"No," he breathed out, staring down the hallway. He hadn't so much as reached for Addea's hand when his own body gave out—heart thudding in a completely paralyzed body.

Loki's hand wrapped around my wrist with a cold, vice-like grip.  One of his daggers materialized into his other hand.  He looked down at me, fire in his eyes.

"If I say run, you run and you do not look back."  Loki warned, voice like ice.  "Do you understand me?"

My heart pounded in my ears, "yes."

The moment I spoke, Loki was ripped away from me.  I screamed as some invisible force threw him against the hallway wall—pinning him.  His teeth clenched as he struggled against it's hold and then his gaze whipped to me.

"Lorien."  He breathed, petrified.  "Run."

Something wet slipped down my cheek—I couldn't just....leave them.  I looked at my brother hopelessly, my heart violently beating against my rib cage. 

The fear in his eyes. 

The silent plead.

I spun on my heals just as a tall, feminine figure materialized from a cloud of mist in front of me.