||18||

•Chapter Eighteen•
The Time We Almost Died
(FOSTER SUMMER HOUSE)
REWRITTEN

The Chituari's sword never touched me.

Instead a flash of green blinded my eyes and a loud shout filled the room. I shielded my eyes with my arm and when the light disappeared, the Chituari no longer stood it front of me. It laid on the floor; unconscious.

"Lorien!"

My head whipped to voice, relieved when I saw Loki. His hand was out stretched and his fingers were still faintly glowing green. His dagger was unsheathed and was in his other hand.

"Loki," I whimpered before stumbling up onto my feet.

I pressed against the wall to help myself stand up before I shot across the room. I stopped in front of him and his hands came down on my arms. His eyes searching over my face and up and down my form in search of injury. "Are you alright?"

I nodded, gulping. "Yeah."  Loki sighed in relief before pulling me to his chest. He wrapped his arms around me, burying his head into my hair.

"Thank Valhalla that you're safe." He murmured, but we weren't out of the clear just yet. A scream echoed through the house and Loki and I broke apart.

"Darcy!" I whispered horrified. I pulled away from Loki and started running towards the door. A hand caught the collar of my shirt, pulling me back.

"Stay behind me."

***

We find Darcy's door ajar and her room dark.  Still using his left hand to hold me behind him, Loki slowly pushed open the door with his right.  His dagger still remained in his hand; sharp and ready to attack.

A deep feral growl met us as we stepped through the boundary of the doorway.  My eyes shot across the to the second, towering Chituari.  Loki tensed, staring at the floor in front of the creature.  I didn't see what he was looking at, at first until I peeked around him.  A gasp escaped my throat. 

Darcy laid on the floor in front of the Chituari; unconscious and bleeding profusely from a huge gash on her arm.  Her face was pale and her eyelids were tightly shut.

"No," I breathed out.  No, no, no, no.......

The Chituari acted quicker then I had expected, charging at us from across the room.  It swung it's sword up but Loki was prepared—way more prepared then I was.  He moved out of the way of the charging creature, pulling me with him.  The Chituari stumbled through the doorway before whipping around.

"Go to Darcy, now.  I'll handle this."  Loki hissed quickly before pushing me farther into the room.  I turned to protest but the sight of the Chituari rearing back at Loki, sent me whirling to Darcy's side.  I dropped down next to her to carefully roll her over onto her back.

I may not be a certified Doctor—obviously—but I've seen and helped many injured agents returning from the field in my life.  Another perk of living on an army base.

Thankful that I had grabbed my jacket as I was being pulled from my room, I quickly shrugged it off of my shoulders.  Gently lifting Darcy's arm onto my lap, I carefully worked part of the jacket under her arm just above the gash.  I began wrapping the jacket around her arm like a tourniquet.  She was going to need medical attention soon; it doesn't take a genius to tell she'd lost a lot of blood.