||27||

•Chapter Twenty-Seven•
Sound the Alarm
(ASGARDIAN PALACE)
REWRITTEN

My breath hitched in my throat as the words tumbled from Loki's lips. 

No longer safe here? 

How was that even possible?  I was in a place full of freaking Gods and Goddesses!  If here was no longer safe, where would be?

"What," I cleared my throat, trying to calm myself down, "what are we going to do?"

Loki's jaw clenched, his eyes gazing down at me almost hopelessly, "I'm getting you out of Asgard."

I bit my lip but the sound of foot steps silenced me before I could respond.  I turned to see Jane and Darcy coming down the hallway.  Jane sighed in visible relief.

I would've ran to greet them if not for Loki's steel, vice-like grip still on my arm.

"Do you know what's going on?"  I asked once they got closer—now I could see the worry etched on Jane's face.  The alarm's frequency had damped but it still blared through the palace.

"Heimdal sensed a Chituari after it had passed into Asgard." Jane explained quickly.  My heart dropped even more.

"Thor's gone to handle it," Darcy added, probably sensing my distress.  She had detracted herself from Jane's side and stood beside me.  It made me feel a little better—but to be honest, I was still freaking out inside. Darcy's gaze drifted down, spying Nyx in my arms.

"Where'd you get the kitten," her voice was soft.  I could tell she wanted to coo all over him like I had.

"He was lost in one of the gardens," I started, my own voice wavering.  "I found him....before this happened."

I felt Loki's hold on my arm drop as he shifted to greet another arrival coming down the hall, "mother."

I turned to see Frigga, stalking towards us rapidly.  A glistening silver sword tightly clasped in her right hand.  My shoulders slumped.

"Come with me quickly," she ordered in a hushed whisper, not waiting a beat.  Her voice was frigid as was her posture.  Cue even more freaking out.  Frigga's soft blue eyes flickered over to mine and she gently laid her hand on my arm.

"We will keep you safe, my child."  She cooed reassuringly before glancing back up at Loki and then to Jane and Darcy.  "Follow me, we must make hast."

***

We continued down a hallway that was foreign to me—which was basically every hallway—passing several armed guards.  The palace alarms still looming over our heads like the blade of an axe.

I begun mentally wishing that I had something to protect myself with. Let it be a pocket knife or a book—anything really. I had no doubt in my mind that Frigga and Loki could protect me—but that didn't stop me from feeling utterly useless. And besides, my life wasn't the only one in danger.

The sound of a far off explosion set me clinging to Loki's side.  I didn't even realize I had moved until he returned the motion by grabbing my hand.  The slightest bit of relief flooded through me—something about knowing I had my sibling's support comforted me.