8: Power Amp

Maki
_________________________________

I arrived where Nobara was, only to see she was already done. I quickly sprinted back to where I left Y/n, only to see a distant glow. Suddenly whatever it was released a massive amount of smoke, and a shockwave hit me. It was a struggle just trying not to get blown over, but I sprinted as fast as I could towards where it was, and pulled out playful cloud.

I saw none other than Y/n laying in the middle of all the ash and debris, and stopped beside him, and crouched down. He seems almost dead, but the fact he occasionally moves, ever so slightly, kept my hopes up. He actually seems really peaceful right now, maybe even beautiful.

"Y/n, get up." I said.

"M-maki-Chan?" He asked, not opening his eyes.

"Yeah, it's me. You gonna keep laying there?" I asked him.

"Maki you didn't exactly have time to look at me, but I'm not in the best condition, yeah." He responded, eyes still closed.

I took the time to actually look at him, and he's right.  His left arm is completely gone, his clothes and body are in shreds, and he's got a hole through his stomach.

"Y/n, you're a curse, you'll be fine." I told him.

"That's not the problem. I can't just regenerate with time. Living in this condition is damn near impossible when I can't move." He said.

"I'll figure something out, I swear." I told him.

"Maki-Chan, there's something you can do for me now." He said.

"What is it?" I asked.

He used his remaining arm to grab a hold of a hair, and pulled it out, before holding it towards me.

"I want you to give this to Megumi. He'll know what to do with it." He told me.

I took it and looked at the strand of hair. I looked back and saw he was smiling at me.

"You can do this Maki. Good luck, I'll be cheering you on from here, yeah." He said, giving me a thumbs up.

I smiled and put my hand on his head.

"I'll get this to Megumi as soon as I find him, wherever he is." I told him, and his smile grew a little.

"Oh, that feels nice, yeah." He said, pressing his head into my hand.

Suddenly Megumi flew through the trees and crashed next to us.

"Oh. Megumi, my man. What're you doing?" Y/n asked.

"Y/n? You've been in better shape." He said.

"Yeah. Maki, you can throw the hair away. Megumi, can you do the thing?" Y/n asked him.

"Huh? But that-"

"I know. Do it." Y/n responded flatly.

Megumi sighed, and shook his head.

"Okay. Don't complain about it later." He said.

Megumi's shadow seemed to gently reach out and cover Y/n, before returning to normal with Y/n gone.

"Did you just-?" I began.

"Turn Y/n into a shikigami? Kind of. It's hard to explain. It was a plan we came up with in case he was on the verge of death or we needed some kind of power amp for him. Sadly, we need both right now." He said, before pointing at what appears to be a tree walking towards us.

"Great. This day can't get any better can it?" I asked sarcastically.

"Thankfully, we have a teammate." He said, before forming a different handsign than usual, however I immediately noticed something.

"You're only using one hand." I pointed out.

"Yeah. Y/n's the only one I can do this with. I think he has some kind of natural ability that only uses one hand." He said.

I didn't respond, but I did notice that handsign is the same one Y/n uses for his explosions.

I wonder why it's that instead of the weird pose he does occasionally. I've only known him for a couple hours and I already know about it.

 I've only known him for a couple hours and I already know about it

Oh well, I guess it's more convenient with one hand.

Megumi's shadow extended again, and none other than Y/n came out. He looks......different.

He and the tree looked at each other, and Y/n scoffed

"What the hell do you think you're doing here?" Y/n asked the tall figure.

"Damn, I didn't anticipate you being here." The tree said.

"I think it's about time I get my rematch, Hanami. Yeah." Y/n said, eyes narrowing.