Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

{Meredith's POV}

When I reached Derek's room he was sitting up in his hospital bed, his face and hair cleaner than it had been last time I'd visited, hinting that he'd bathed. As soon as I entered the room his eyes landed on me, a small frown tugging at his lips when he saw the expression on my face. One that held nothing but frustration and confusion, with a hint of anger thrown in as well. He was hiding something from me, from all of us, about Howard and it was time to figure out what it was.

"Meredith? Is everything alright?" He asked me.

"Who is Howard's, really?" I asked him, not bothering to beat around the bush. I wasn't going to back down from this, I needed answers.

"What do you mean?" He raised a brow as he sat himself up in his hospital bed more.

"I mean, who is she?" I repeated myself. "None of us can find anything on her and now Mark's calling her 'Young'. Who is she Derek?"

"Meredith," he paused, as if he couldn't get the words to pass his lips. He just sat there in his bed and looked at me for a moment, trying to find some way to continue without being honest.

I knew that look.

I made that look.

"Derek, please, just tell me the truth." I crossed my arms over my chest and just looked at him for a moment before speaking up again. "I recognize the name, Young. How do I know it?"

"It's not my place to tell you Meredith." He shook his head at me, resting his head back against his pillow.

"I don't care!" I practically yelled the words at him, my frustration growing with every passing second. "This woman is here, in Seattle. She's coming to visit you and Mark when neither of you have ever mentioned her before! She's here everyday and now she's working with us. We all have the right to know who she really is. The patients here have a right to know who's really taking a scalpel to them. Now tell me, who is she?"

"Do you remember what happened, back when you were an intern here?" He asked out of nowhere.

"What does that have to do with anything?" I frowned.

"Just tell me, do you remember that year?" He asked me again and I gave a small nod. "It was crazy, wasn't it? First there was Addison showing up here and then there was the ferry crash and the bomb in the body cavity. It made that year, my first year in Seattle, so crazy. As if Seattle was a nonstop roller coaster, like there was never a normal day in this city. Things haven't really changed since then, have they?"

"Where are you going with this Derek?" I tried to get him to the point.

"I almost lost you that year, twice." He recounted. "With the ferry they were able to revive you, after you nearly drowned to death. Then, before that, you had to go and stick your hand in the body cavity, you had to be the girl with the bomb."

"I didn't die though, the bomb guy did." I reminded him. As soon as the words left my lips he looked back up at me and just nodded. My brows drew together for a moment as we just looked at each other and I silently tried to piece it all together in my head. Then, like the flip of a light switch, it all seemed to click and I could feel my eyes widening. "His name, the bomb guy's name was Dylan Young."

"And he died outside of OR four." Derek nodded.

{Bria's POV}

After a while of talking with Mark the nurses told me that he should rest some and Jackson wanted to talk with him about patients, so I left. I didn't want to be in everyone's way and I knew that the others would want their chances to talk with him, we didn't need me to end up getting in a fight with someone. So I found myself heading through the halls and towards Derek's room. I needed to talk to him, about everything. He needed to know why I was still here. Why I hadn't left for New York again, that it wasn't truly just for him and Mark.

"I almost lost you that year, twice." I stopped outside of Derek's room when I heard him talking to someone. I knew it was wrong but I couldn't help myself from standing there and listening in through the closed door. "With the ferry they were able to revive you, after you nearly drowned to death. Then, before that, you had to go and stick your hand in the body cavity, you had to be the girl with the bomb."

"I didn't die though, the bomb guy did." I recognized Meredith's voice as she spoke with her husband, sounding annoyed. My breath seemed to catch in my throat though as she mentioned the 'bomb guy'. For a while neither of them said anything, I could practically feel the tension between the married couple from where I stood. Finally, Meredith broke their silence. "His name, the bomb guy's name, it was Dylan Young."

I closed my eyes and leaned against the wall at the sound of the familiar name, one that I hadn't heard with my own ears in far too long. I was a name I had grown to avoid, almost dreading to hear the sound of it.

"And he died outside of OR four." Derek finished. I knew what he was doing. He had made her realize who I was without actually telling her. He had found a way to give away my identity without doing so himself.

Tears began to sting at my eyes as I turned on my heel and stormed away from Derek's hospital room. He had told her, in a way, he had told her my secret. I knew he had changed since the last time I'd seen him in New York, but not this much. The Derek Shepard I had known never would have done this, he never would have so much as hinted at the truth of one's secret. Someone he had once called his family. I couldn't tell him.

I couldn't trust him.

A/N: So I finally updated, sorry for it taking so long! I feel so bad!!!

But Meredith knows now, at least she "thinks" she does 😆 And now Bria is upset with Derek and says she doesn't trust him and she has a secret!!!

Have any ideas on her secret?