Chapter Forty-Five

Chapter Forty-Five

"So, when are you and Avery going to go out on a real date?" Meredith asked me as we both headed down towards the ER.

"Excuse me?" I furrowed my brows, surprised by her random question. 

"You and Jackson, when are you guys going on a real date?" She repeated her question. "I mean, from what Callie's said you two are getting pretty close, but you haven't asked any of us to watch Mark for weeks, which means that you two haven't gone out together. So, when are going to?"

"What makes you think I'm going to talk to you about this?" I shook my head at her. 

"Because you like me more than you like Cristina." She smirked as we reached the others just as they were heading out of the ER to meet the ambulances, everyone already dressed in trauma gowns, like us. 

"I heard a tanker blew?" I asked Hunt as everyone started going to different ambulances, Hunt and I heading towards one together.

"It didn't blow." He shook his head as the paramedics opened the back of the ambulance, pulling out a little boy that was strapped to a stretcher. 

"Ethan Dawson, ten years old. Restrained in the backseat." The paramedic informed us. "No obvious injuries except for a minor wrist lac. He was walking around at the scene."

"Ethan, my name is Dr. Hunt and this is my friend Dr. Howards." Hunt introduced himself and then me to the young boy. 

"Are my mom and dad dead?" He asked us, tears spilling from his eyes.

"No, no." I shook my head, glancing back towards the hospital doors where the others had already rushed their patients inside. "They're right inside."

"You'll see them soon." Hunt promised him. "We got you. Okay?"

"Okay." He nodded the best he could with this head restrained to prevent too much movement.

"Okay, let's go." Hunt told the paramedics as we all began to push Ethan inside the hectic emergency room. "Murphy, I want you to check Ethan here out!"

"Okay." The blonde intern nodded as she replaced Hunt at my side, going to see if the others needed any help. With the help of the paramedics we quickly got Ethan off of the stretcher and into a bed.

"Ethan, can you tell me if anything hurts?" I asked the young boy as I shined a light in his eyes to check his reflexes, them seemed normal. 

"My wrist." He said.

"Murphy." I nodded to the intern to take care of the laceration on Ethan's wrist as I had him sit forward, letting me get a listen to his heartbeat. As I went about checking everything I could on the young boy I also kept a close eye on Murphy as she cleaned and bandaged his wrist. "So, Ethan, how old are you?"

"Ten." He answered the same as the paramedic.

"Ten, that's  good age." I gave him a small smile as I worked. "You know, I have a little boy. He's only a baby, but I can't wait until he's older, like you. That's when all to the fun stuff happens, isn't it?"

"I guess." He shrugged.

"This little guy checks out okay." Murphy told Hunt when he came back over to check on us after a while.

"Okay. Um, finish bandaging his wrist, and then have somebody wait with him-" Hunt started to tell us.

"But...I thought you said I could see my parents." Ethan frowned as he looked between Hunt and I.