𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘. the one with half a tank

˚ ༘ ✶ ₊ ˚. ི            CHAPTER 20.
࿐             ᵗʰᵉ ᵒⁿᵉ ʷⁱᵗʰ ʰᵃˡᶠ ᵃ ᵗᵃⁿᵏ

A SYMBOL OF HOPE— STILES IS WORKING ON THE JEEP AGAIN

A SYMBOL OF HOPE— STILES IS WORKING ON THE JEEP AGAIN. A return to normalcy, a good omen against their stacked bad ones.

     Inside, Scott is in his room packing silently, and Peter is in the living room— packing the spider suit into a book bag. Instead of packing or sitting with Stiles, he seems to be almost lost in thought. Holding the red mask in his hands, it's as if he's reuniting with an old friend. It feels heavy in his hand, like he's a different person since the last time he wore the mask. Different in way; he wasn't quite sure. Matured? Aged? Maybe scarred, less innocent than the last time. Worse, maybe.

     Though, maybe that's just what happened. Maybe everyone had to grow up someday. Maybe everyone needed a break from trying to be who they were supposed to be, and take time to be who they're going be.

     The front door peels open, and Peter doesn't make too much a movement to hide the suit. He heard Liam's racing heartbeat five minutes ago while the freshman was panicking on the front porch and debating coming in.

     The last time Peter saw Liam— things didn't go so well.

     Liam stares at the superhero. Finding out Peter was the Spider-Man wasn't the craziest thing happening, and at the moment Liam had been more concerned with Hayden than the fact that he was covered in loose webbing and having seen a scrawny teenager pull him away at his full werewolf strength. Peter Parker apparently was a lot scarier than Liam remembered when they met just a few months ago.

        "They're alive."

    Calm as the open ocean, Peter nods and doesn't hold eye contact. He's standoffish, maybe because Peter doesn't like people who hurt his friends. Rekindling a friendship with Liam was quite low on Peter's to-do list, or at least he'd hope Liam would be the last pack member they'd retrieve. "We know."

   Liam doesn't think so. "I mean, the Chimeras. Some of them— not all of them."

                Peter sharply returns, "We know."

    He's taken aback. Stiles' geeky boyfriend isn't as quiet as he used to be, definitely more comfortable in his own skin now, at least enough to stop beating around the bush. "Oh... does— does Scott know?"

     Peter nods, and that's that. Standing, he shoves the spider suit into the bag, mask and all. Zipping it up collectedly and getting to his feet, it's apparent now that Peter has only a little bit of height on the kid, but he walks with a new sense of seriousness that Liam doesn't have yet. "Look, we can't talk right now, Liam."