¶ Two ¶

"You know I want you,
It's not a secret I try to hide,
You know you want me,
So don't keep saying our hands are tied "

Rewrite the stars
~ James Arthur & Anne Marie

______________________

Adeline glared at him with teary eyes. She had never hated someone as much as him until now.

"You have no idea. You have no idea what I've gone through. You have no idea what it's like to have no control over yourself and not know what to do. You have no right to barge into my life and drag me back there. Adeline Forbes was a suicidal, depressed, crazed woman who I chose to leave behind in New York. I cannot go back. I - I won't go back. I just can't. ", she said looking down.

"Trust me, if I had any other choice I wouldn't have asked you. But we need people like you. The world is in danger and we could use someone with your brains and skills. Just think about it. I'll leave the quinjet out there. I know you know how to fly one. Give it some thought and you'll know what to do. "

Saying this he walked out leaving Adeline to her thoughts.

She sighed, walking towards her bedroom and picked up the picture frame from her nightstand. She smiled seeing her parents standing on either side of her and her brother,  underneath the sweltering sun on the beach. She vividly remembered that day.

It was exactly two years before her parent's accident. They had gone to the Malibu beach to celebrate her promotion as the departmental head. It was the very day when Alden had told them how he had resigned from his job and had enlisted into the army. She remembered supporting him in his dreams and taking his side on the numerous arguments he had with mama and papa on the very topic. How she helped him persuade them. Now, all she wished was to reverse time and take her parent's side. Maybe then he would still be here.

She could practically hear him whispering in her ear,
'Addy, you can do this. I love you and you're the very best of us. I know you'll do the right thing.'

Wiping her tears Adeline walked our of her home. Climbing into her car she drove straight to St. Laurent's Preparatory.
Climbing out she passed the empty classrooms finally ending up in front of the Principal's office. She knocked twice and hearing the faint 'come in', she entered.

Principal Golding sat behind a mahogany desk, hunched over some paperwork with small strands of hair sticking out of her bun. Mary was a kind, grey-haired, blue eyed lady with prominent laugh lines who had been managing the school for more than thirty years. Loved by all, she was more a friend than boss to most of her colleagues.

Pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose she smiled at the younger girl.

"Lina dear, come in. I thought today was your off day honey. Aren't you supposed to be driving like a madman on those deathtracks today? "

Adeline felt a smile breaking out on her face as she chuckled softly. Mary knew about her hobby of streetracing to earn extra cash and never failed to remind her of how dangerous and reckless the sport was. But Adeline loved how Mary cared enough to look out for her well-being.

"I was Mary. I did actually, won too. Anyway, that wasn't why I came here today. "

"Then what is it dear", questioned Mary, concern evident on her aged face.

"I need to take a leave for a few days. Something came up and I'm needed back home. Trust me I wouldn't go if it wasn't important. I'll call you and let you know if it takes more than two weeks. I'm sorry Mary, but I'm needed there."

"Hey, it's alright Lina. I've been pestering you to contact your friends back home for quite a while now. This way maybe you can reconnect with them again. It'll be good for your loner self. Although you better update me regularly and let me know if you're safe.", Mary warned with a stern face as she placed her hand above hers.

Adeline smiled at the thought of Nia and Charles but quickly shoved the thought to the back of her mind.
After all this time, Mary had become family to her and lying to her felt wrong but Adeline couldn't tell her the truth. She wouldn't be able to take it if Mary of all people looked at her with disgust or called her a 'freak'. So, after bidding goodbyes Adeline embarked on her journey back to New York, completely unprepared for what was about to come.

...

Fun fact : I changed Adeline's "abilities" five whole times before arriving at the one I have finally given her. I mean it needed to go with what I have planned for endgame and her character development sooo....and please don't be a silent reader . Vote and criticize-i can take it <3