¶ Six ¶

"I'm worse at what I do best
And for this gift, I feel blessed
Our little group has always been
And always will until the end."

Smells Like Teen Spirit
~Malia J

___________________

After a moment Tony turned to Bruce,
"That's the guy my dad never shut up about? Wondering if they should have kept him on ice."

Bruce let out a small laugh and shook his head, "Guy's not wrong about Loki. He does have a jump on us."

Adeline shrugged and agreed when they both turned to her. She did not want to be caught up in a battle of dicks.

"What he's got is an ACME kit . It's gonna blow up in his face -and I'm gonna be there when it does , " Tony retorted as he walked towards Adeline to compare their readings.

" I think the initial gamma readings from spectrometer XIV has some deviations , could you look into it ? " Adeline asked the man in front of her. Giving her a nod he turned towards the physicist .

" And I'll read all about it ," Bruce injected .

"Nope ,nada Brucie -you'll be suiting up with the rest of this little boyband. " Adeline quickly disagreed while Tony looked at her with offense.

"Hey! If this was a boyband you could bet I'd have a better name for it Ads", Tony whined as he brushed past her shoulders to take some blueberries. Adeline almost teared up but Tony probably didn't even notice himself using her old nickname -thankfully. However Bruce did and quickly steered the conversation back to it's original track.

"Ah see , the thing is I don't get a suit of armour. I'm exposed ,like a nerve . It's a nightmare " , Bruce replied. The words resonated in her mind comparing it to her own situation while Tony in his own way tried to reassure the older man. She remembered the day - vividly . It haunted her nightmares and gave her numerous sleepless nights. Bruce's comparison to an exposed nerve hit right home as she zoned out of the surrounding conversation.

A click of fingers in front of her brought her back to what they had been doing as she hastily shook her head and tried to avoid looking at the two curious scientists in front of her.

"Like I said- I can control it because I learnt how . You can too. That much gamma exposure should have killed you but you're here now aren't you?"

Bruce looked at her.
"And I suppose you agree with him too, don't you? "

She stopped fiddling with her tools as she replied still staring at her notebook.
" I can't be a hypocrite and ask you not to feel sorry for yourself . That thing about exposed nerve? I feel like it too. After my accident I feel like I have no control over myself anymore though I'm much better at it than I was a few years ago" , she looked at him , "all I can ask of you is to believe you won't fuck it up. Atleast that's what I've been telling myself every morning, everyday.

"Fake it till you make it, right?" , she added with a small smirk.

She could feel their curious eyes on her as she turned back to fix the now disfunctioning motherboard . She knew they were curious about her "powers" , everyone was. After all she didn't have a file unlike the others . She had ensured that none of the intelligence agencies had one on her. How Fury got hold of her address was still a mystery to her. After all she had checked and rechecked the S.H.I.E.L.D database numerous times.

Turning around she heaved a sigh.
"Well you guys can keep up while I go freshen up a little. Bloody eyepatch didn't even give me a 12 hour notice", saying this she walked out of the room.