Hanging Out

I have been typing and re-writing the message to Jack for minutes.

I groaned in frustration, "Why am I overthinking this?" I said aloud to no one.

I finally decided to just leave it with, "Hey Jack, I'm sorry about earlier it wasn't my intention to hurt your feelings."

The vibration of my phone startled me. He replied instantly with, "My feelings weren't hurt. I was teasing you."

My face flushed at the sight of this. Teasing me? Why? I was so embarrassed.

"Huh?? Why??" I quickly typed and sent.

It took a few moments but he responded. "Your reactions are amusing to me."

It's hard to know what's going through his mind over text, but I wouldn't know that anyway if I was even looking at him. I wasn't really sure how to go about responding to that, my mind was completely blank. The sound of my phone buzzing broke me from my thoughts.

"What are you doing right now Toby?" My eyes widened. I excitedly responded

"Nothing! Why?" I bit my lip in anticipation.

"I'm not really good at this but would you want to "hang out"?" His response made me giggle.

"Yeah sure. When?" I stared down at my phone.

"Now. Meet me downstairs." I was starting to get even more nervous.

I found myself at the bottom of the stairs, a dark and tall figure hunched over on the couch. I slowly walked over to the couch across from him and sat down. He looked up and tilted his head slightly. He seems to do that a lot.. It's very cute.

"Why are you sitting all the way over there?" He spoke up.

"Oh- I uh-" Jack laughed a bit.

I've never heard him laugh before and I'm sure no one in this house has. His laugh made me smile. It was quiet for a few minutes but it wasn't an awkward silence.

I searched for the bravery to speak, "I'd like to know more about you." I said gripping at the bottom of my sweater.

Jack hummed in response. "What do you want to know?"

I'm sure he was able to read the excitement and curiosity on my face.

"You already know about my medical experience and the fact i'm a cannibal." I nodded. I thought for a moment what did I want to know anyways?

"What's your favorite food? Oh wait-" I shook my head.

"Pizza. That was my favorite food before. Granted not the healthiest, but definitely easy to eat while studying." He said while leaning back into the couch.

"I love pizza!" I exclaimed. "You said studying though so were you a real doctor?" I asked.

"No. I never was able to get to that point, but that was the plan." I frowned. He wanted to become a doctor, but instead ended up here. What happened? I wasn't going to ask though. For that seemed too insensitive. Maybe one day I could know.

"So why are you talking to me? I hear you don't really talk to anyone." I asked.

"Hm" Jack hummed in response. "I suppose I find you the least annoying of everyone here."

I blinked slowly in response, that was a compliment I think?

"You know you're still sitting all the way over there. You can sit over here. I don't bite." He said. Ironic considering he's a cannibal.

I reluctantly got up and sat next to him. We sat in silence for awhile. I started to grow tired, unable to keep my eyes open. I quickly fell asleep, unaware of the world around me. Little did I know I had fallen onto his lap. Jack stared down at my sleeping face unsure of how to handle this situation.

I awoke to the sun shining on my face, nearly blinding me. I rubbed my eyes slowly. There was a blanket messily strung on top of me. The recollection of last nights events went through my mind. Did Jack do this? The thought of someone cold, aloof, and well... violent was worrying about me being cold was kind of cute.

I quickly grabbed my phone and shot him a text "Thank you" my message read.

I stretched and got up, unfortunately not ready for the day ahead.