Tent

"Let's stop here for now." I nodded at him and surveyed my surroundings. It was starting to get dark out and it wouldn't be a smart idea to continue on. We had made good distance already.

I followed Jack off the trail and into the woods to set up camp. About half a mile in is where we decided to settle. I slung my bag off my shoulder and onto the ground, making a pleasing crunching sound from the leaves. Just like my bag, I did the same.

I watched Jack as he made quick work setting up a tent, one that I did not know we even had.

"When did we get a tent?" I spoke, watching him unzip it and place his sleeping bag inside.

"Since the beginning." He said blankly. I rolled my eyes, a tent would have been helpful earlier.

"It looks like it's going to rain." I looked up at the sky, but didn't notice any difference. I then turned back to him motioning me to come to him.

"Bring your sleeping bag." I grabbed my sleeping bag from my backpack and tossed it to him. He easily caught it which wasn't surprising due to his reflexes. He rolled my sleeping bag inside as well. Was I going to be sleeping next to him? Oh my god. I was going to be sleeping next to him.

He crawled inside and a few moments later stuck his head out. We stared at each other in silence, both clearly confused.

"Are you not wanting to go to sleep yet?" Jack questioned. It was starting to get dark and there would be no point for me to stay outside by myself with no source of light.

I shook my head and walked over to the tent. Jack scooted to the side giving me room to get inside. I laid on top of my sleeping bag, feeling too lazy to get inside of it. Jack seemed to be doing the same.

I stared at his back that was turned to me. He abruptly shifted and rolled over to face me. Silence permeated the air as I realized he was awake. I assume he made the realization as well.

"Thank you for earlier. What you said.. It meant a lot. No one has ever said anything like that to me before." Jack whispered softly. It was the quietest I had ever heard his voice. He sounded so soft and sweet.

"It's no problem. I meant everything I said." I whispered back. What I had said must have affected him more than I had thought.

I cleared my throat before speaking again, "Jack I.. I want to know more about you. It feels like I know so much, but at the same time I know nothing." The more I spoke the more my voice wavered.

"I don't know much about you either, Toby." Jack said, pulling himself up and looking down at me.

"What do you want to know?" I prop myself up on my elbow and look up at him. He had a point. I probably knew more about him than he did about me at the moment.

"Well, how did you end up as "The Tall Man's" proxy? If that's not too personal to ask." Jack rubbed the back of his neck.

"Long story short I started seeing him, then I killed my dad and set my house on fire." Jack was clearly taken aback, but only for a split second. The way I sounded so apathetic must have started him.

"I.. I'm sorry Toby. You didn't deserve what happened to you." He said quietly. My eyes widened. I never even mentioned what my father was like, he just assumed he deserved it?

"Neither of us deserved it, Jack." I sighed, raking a hand through my hair. He nodded, his breathing was unsteady.

"Now it's my turn to ask a question!" I smiled, propping myself up on my elbows and leaning my face in my hands. I was happily kicking my feet behind me.

Jack laughed, "Alright let me hear it." He repositioned himself to get more comfortable, unintentionally getting slightly closer to me.

"Well.. How old are you? Favorite color? What about band?" I asked quickly, my questions almost merging together.

"24, blue, and I don't really have a favorite. I do listen to a lot of rock, metal and alternative though. Some indie too." He shrugged, but then smiled. "You?"

"22, blue is also my favorite, and I pretty much listen to anything." Jack nodded along to my answers.

"Seems we have a lot in common. I suppose it's my turn to ask a few? Dogs or cats? Favorite holiday?" Jack appeared to be enjoying asking and answering questions.

"I like cats more. Halloween has to be my favorite, always has been." I rolled onto my back and stared up at him. He stared down at me and tilted his head.

"I like cats more too. I've always wanted a cat." His smile made my heart skip a beat. Jack must have really liked cats for him to smile like that.

"Maybe we can get one? One day at least." He raised an eyebrow at me and laughed.

"We?" He continued to laugh causing me to flush in embarrassment. I didn't mean for my statement to come off that way. I've gone and humiliated myself in front of Jack, this is going to  keep me up at night for the rest of my life.

"Sorry, sorry. That was just too cute." He looked back at me after having calmed himself down from laughing. The way he was looking at me.. Was different. He had never looked at me in that way before. A look of fondness.

I pulled myself up, crossing my arms. "You're mean, you know that?" Even though I was acting childish, he continued to look at me affectionately.

"What?" I whispered uncrossing my arms. I was starting to get self conscious. He wasn't saying anything or doing anything, just smiling. That stupid, pretty smile.

"Nothing." He laid back down, turning his back to me once again. Leaving me sitting there in confusion once again. This man was surely going to be the death of me. I can see it now. Here lies Toby: Died from annoyance and confusion.

I sighed and laid down again turning my back to him as well. I closed my eyes and listened to the sound of the wind hoping it would lull me to sleep, so I wouldn't have to deal with my overactive mind.

After awhile I found myself in a state between awake and sleep. I could still hear what was going on around me, but it didn't fully register in my mind.

Jack shifted behind me, rolling over and scooting closer to me. He was so close I could feel his breath on my neck. Was he asleep? He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me closer to him. If I wasn't half asleep, I would attempt to squirm out of his grip, but I know it would be futile.

I was snuggled against his chest his arms wrapped tightly around me. It was comfortable. I felt like I belonged there. I wished I could have this every night. I found myself slipping deeply into sleep from the comfort of his warm embrace.

__________________________________
I wrote this at 4am.. Anyways the ages are just personal headcanons. Due to Jack having no canon age. Toby is 17 in his main story but he ages in his timeline. (He canonically dies somewhere between 19 and 25) But I like just mixing person HC's with things:)