Portraits

(Hehe sorry for the hiatus I was building a house and then my depression and physical health worsened and I literally don't remember what I've been doing for months its all a blur.)

"You're welcome" Jack replied not too long after.

I smiled down at the phone in my hands. I had no tasks assigned for today, so I decided I might as well find someone to hang out with for the day. I walked aimlessly through the halls, glancing at the dusty portraits I passed by. We never placed these here so I was always fascinated by them. Many of them mostly depicting landscapes such as forest sidelines, floral imagery of fields, and every once in awhile a person. I sometimes wondered if the people in the portraits were once alive, if they ever existed at all.

I continued to walk, but stopped in my tracks. I walked backwards a few steps and glanced back up at the wall.

"I don't remember this one." I stood in front of the painting, eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

There was a man in the painting. I could tell this had to have been created long ago by how faded the pigment was. The man seemed pained, but it wasn't obvious. It was like he was trying to hide it. Maybe from someone or even from himself. He wore glasses and his hair was unkempt. He wore a tan suit that was disheveled, his tie barely keeping itself together. I felt a deep sorrow looking at him.

"What are you doing?" The sudden voice from behind causing me to flinch.

"Oh- uh just looking at this, I don't remember seeing this before." I responded to Jack.

He was silent for a moment. "I don't recall this one either."

Now I was beginning to become even more confused.

"What do you think of it?" Jack asked looking down at me. He was quite taller than me so I had to crane my neck to look up at him.

"It kinda makes me sad. I don't know just the look on his face pains me for some reason. He seems familiar, like I've met him before." Jack hummed in response. "What about you?" I asked back, looking back up at him from the painting.

"I don't like it." He stated bluntly. Jack, of course, did not elaborate further.

"Y'know you could always ask slender." A voice said behind us. Looking back, it was Ben lazily. holding a Nintendo Switch in his hands not even glancing up at us while speaking.

"That's not a bad idea actually, I think I'll do that." I replied.

Ben continued walking on without responding back to me.

"So I guess-" I began to speak, turning around only to see Jack was no longer there. I sighed.

Guess I might as well talk to Slender about it. I made my way to his office, eventually arriving at his door. I knocked slowly.

"Come in." The staticky voice pounded inside my head.

I opened the door and glanced inside, seeing him sitting behind his desk. He motioned for me to sit, so I obliged.

"I was wondering about the new painting that was hung up. Do you know who the man is?" I asked, no longer intimidated to not look at him where his eyes are supposed to be.

"Perhaps." Slender replied.

I hated when he feigned cluelessness. I gave him a pleading look, earning a laugh or what would probably be considered a laugh in response.

"It's not my place to tell you." He said shuffling the papers within his hands. Asking clearly became pointless. "If that is all you may go now."

I stood up from my seat and made my way towards the door.

"Actually-" I began, stopping with my hand on the doorknob. "There is one thing. Are there any tasks for me?" I asked.

"Definitely nothing easy at the moment." He responded.

"I'll take it." I said determination in my voice.

"I'm unsure if you're ready." I quickly sat back down. Slender groaned, placing a tendril to his forehead. "Alright. Some candidates I've been monitoring for recruitment have suddenly gone off grid, I am unable to find them."

This sounded like a serious task. If even THE Slenderman was unable to track someone down, I was unsure how I could possibly be able to.

"I would like for you to try to find them. However, I do not want you going alone. This is not a one person job. Take someone with you." I knew the perfect person to bring along with me.