chapter nineteen // panicking.

ellie's pov

A familiar pair of paws kneads my stomach, urging me to wake up, despite it being my day off. I groan and roll over, pushing Crookshanks off of me, earning myself a 'meow' loud enough to let me know I did something wrong. He never hesitates to give me the sass.

Slowly, I peer through squinted eyes, struggling to keep them open as the bright morning sun streams through my window. My clock reads 10 am back to me, letting me know that I'm up far earlier than I ever am on my days off. 

"Crooks, why?" I grumble as I flop onto my back, pushing my messy hair out of my face, staring up at the ceiling. I stretch all of my limbs until I hear satisfying cracks, outstretching as far as possible on my bed. 

I can feel my brain slowly waking up, needing a moment as I let out an exhausted yawn. On the other side of my thin wall, I hear Louis and Mia's soft voices, joking around with one another. I can't help but to smile a little, thinking about how cute the two are. Last night on our drive home - 

As soon as my brain travels to last night, my eyes shoot open and a small gasp leaves my lips. My stomach immediately twists itself into nervous knots as I recall my evening spent with Liam in the greenhouse. 

My fingers trace my lips, where Liam's soft lips had been less than 12 hours ago. Closing my eyes, I can still vividly remember how wonderful his lips felt against my own. It was a kiss unlike any other. It was like one of those magical kisses you see in the movies; they type of kiss that would awaken me from my deep slumber; the type of kiss that causes fireworks to shoot off in the distance.

That's exactly why I hadn't been able to fall asleep until three in the morning last night. 

I kept playing it over and over in my head, unable to get the dopey grin off of my face all night. I even tried burying my face deep within my pillow, just to the point where I couldn't breathe and might pass out, but it was no use. I was up all night tossing and turning over Liam Payne. 

I still cannot believe that happened. I don't even know what I was thinking. I think it was being up in that greenhouse, with all the fresh flower scents and the dim lighting. He just looked so cute with his charming smile and damn brown eyes. His lips looked so kissable, he smelled surprisingly nice, which is not something you come across often with people in the hospital and - 

God dammit. 

But he's my patient and that was so not professional. If anyone found out that we kissed, I'd be kicked out of the hospital before I could even take off my stethoscope. Dr. Frenette would probably skin me alive, not after, of course, giving me the world's longest and scariest lecture in the world. 

How could I be so stupid? I should have never agreed to taking him on a walk in the first place, especially not after realizing that he was practically my dream man. 

I suppose, to be fair, I'm not usually so bold. I'm the type of girl who panics from any sort of attention from the opposite sex. The fact that I was able to sit there, holding Liam's hand without puking all over myself is impressive alone. Then he leaned in and closed his eyes all adorable-like. Did he expect me to be able to restrain myself?

I let out an embarrassed groan as I bury myself deeper within my comforter as I go over all the criteria Liam fits to officially become my dream man. That's where I got all carried away last night. He asked why I thought he was a softy and I got carried away.

The worst possible moment to allow my hopeless romantic self make an appearance.

But he is my dream man. I can just picture how wonderful of a husband he would be; so caring, kind, and selfless. And how adorable would he look with a little baby in his arms.