chapter twenty-seven // reunions.

ellie's pov

The loud laughter echoing against the walls of the kitchen cause the corners of my lips to turn up ever-so-slightly as I continue mixing the pumpkin pie filling in the large mixing bowl. It sounds so different from the sounds of preparations that used to fill my home during the holiday seasons. 

Early this morning, I woke from a full house, already preparing for the feast. I slipped into my cozy burgundy sweater dress and a pair of tights - after making the guest bedroom look as it had when I was offered it, of course - and head into the middle of the busyness. 

Liam's family had delicious omelettes ready for us at the table. I was finally able to meet Liam's sisters, Niccola and Ruth, as well in all the bustle, leaving me yet again completely overwhelmed. I felt guilty as I sat down and ate breakfast while they ran around, preparing things. 

"We brought Liam his breakfast this morning, but we weren't sure if you wanted to help him get up and into his chair or not," His mom told me as I washed my plate off. 

I was surprised to hear that he was awake yet, normally he sleep well past this time. We're lucky to get him awake before eleven. 

"Oh, of course," I nodded and washed my hands vigorously before heading down the hall to where I had helped Liam get into bed last night. 

His childhood bedroom was one of the cutest things in the world. He still had batman sheets on his twin sized bed. He also had a few posters on his wall, as well as a few talent competition trophies. I couldn't help but to smile as his X-Factor ticket was hung on his wall, proudly. He got all embarrassed by it all, but I found it quite endearing. 

Knocking a few times first, I pop my head into his room, catching him smiling at his phone. He looked up at me and his smile grew even greater, causing my own smile to radiate until my cheeks hurt. 

"Good morning," I smiled, walking into his room. 

"Good morning," He smiled, setting his phone down to give me his undivided attention, "You look very beautiful," He told me, causing my entire face to radiate with embarrassment. 

Smiling bashfully, I looked down to my feet, recalling how many different outfits I had Mia look at before deciding on this cozy dress. 

"It's easy to look good when you're usually always in scrubs," I shrugged, laughing it off. 

Liam looked as if he were going to disagree with me when a knock on his door catches both of our attention. Zayn stood there - looking incredible in a dress shirt, might I add - smiling at the two of us. 

"I'm here to help Liam get showered and dressed," He explained to me, "So if you wanna demonstrate how to properly get him in and out of his chair, that way I don't do any damage."

Instead of his pride getting hurt, Liam looked actually relieved. I'm sure he wasn't looking forward to me helping him in and out of the shower. Though I didn't share his same disappointment, to be quite honest. 

My cheeks flared up a deep scarlet as the image of Liam naked in the shower entered my brain. 

Good god.

"Karen said that if you're really feeling the need to help, they could find you something to do in the kitchen," Zayn added, knowing very well that I would get restless if I was told to just sit around. 

Feeling relieved, I step forward to show Zayn the proper hand placements to help Liam out of his chair. I always got rather flustered when I had to help Liam out of his chair. It involved not a lot of personal space. In order to be sure he was supported, you had to wrap your arms around his torso, right beneath his arms, and hold him against your chest as you moved him in front of his chair, where you would slowly lower him.