chapter thirty-eight // out of hand.

Dr. Frenette's pov

"And what did Dr. Gerard have in his reports from the last PT?" I ask Peter as we peer over Liam's chart. It's been quite an adjustment working with Peter. He's a hard worker, and he's trying his hardest to make things run as smoothly as it did with Ellie. 

That'll never happen, no matter how many extra hours this poor kid puts in. 

He goes on with useless information as he practically recounts the entire physical therapy session, that was no different from yesterday's. His hands shake as he keeps darting his eyes up at me, seeking for a pat on the head. 

Just as I'm about to open my mouth to advise him not to bother me unless it's actually important when one of the nurses rushes over. 

"Sorry to interrupt, Doctor, but it's Mr. Payne. He's getting out of hand once again," She frowns, sweat on her forehead letting me know that it's bad.

I look over to Peter, wishing I could just send him in to calm him down. Unfortunately for the both of us, Liam has been giving him an incredibly hard time. Understandably, I suppose. Liam and I both wish it were Ellie here and not him. 

But of course I don't let that show, unlike Liam. 

"Let's go," I nod to Peter. 

It's been a week since Ellie's been fired. It's been one of the longest weeks of my life. Liam has been inconsolable. He won't cooperate with the staff, he's refusing to work with anyone but Ellie. When he's not in a pissy mood, he's crying. No one knows what to do with him. His management doesn't want Ellie back, obviously, but they are threatening to take him out of our care unless we can calm him down. The chief of medicine is telling me to let him go, but I can't morally let him go unless I know he'll be getting the best care possible.

Too many people want to screw over this poor kid, the least I can do is keep him in my care until he's healed. 

So, I've decided to put up with him. Let him get it all out until he's over it, or until he's healthy; Whichever, comes first. 

Peter and I briskly walk down the hall and before we can get to his door, we can hear him screaming. 

"Get out of here! I told you! I'm not working with you!"

I cringe. I can't stand seeing him like this. This isn't the same Liam that has been with us for the past month. His bandmates are the only thing keeping him sane these days. I'm eternally grateful for them. 

"Mr. Payne, please!" The nurse that's attempting to calm him down is starting to lose her temper. My pace quickens. 

"Liam," I hurry into the room, catching him in his wheelchair, surrounded by staff. He looks up at me and his anger starts to melt away. 

The only bandmate in the room is Zayn, who seems to be the one he's closest to. He's standing a few feet behind the nurses looking extremely concerned. He lets out a sigh of relief when he sees me. 

"I've got it," I assure the rest of the staff, gesturing for the door. The nurses all file out, looking exhausted. Peter looks up at me, awkwardly unsure of what to do, "Just give me a few minutes with him."

I've given up trying to get Liam to like Peter. As I said, this isn't the same polite Liam from before. He doesn't care if he's scaring off every single one of my employees. It's probably his plan. 

Zayn follows everyone else out, telling Liam that he's going to get a bite to eat and call the other boys. All alone, I look at Liam, trying to figure out what to do with him.