Chapter 2. Saviour or Villain?

Kakashi looked down meditatively at the unconscious girl limp in his arms. Not bad at all: fine and gentle facial features, long black eyelashes, sharply contrasting against almost white hair, slightly plump lips. Definitely a very pretty girl. It was only unclear why she was so tattered — it's not like those four daggled her in a fire-pit? Or was she snatched from the Hofu Temple — it's nearby... What happened to her?

Kakashi sighed sympathetically and shifted his gaze lower, where a very spectacular view opened up, which was slightly spoiled by traces of blood. He hurried to wrap up the slit, gloomily joking to himself that upon his return to Konoha he would have to do something about it, otherwise next time he would not be fighting for the girl, but rather asking to join the fun...

He'd better move the girl away from this place, he finally decided, and examine her for injuries, which she undoubtedly had.

Having picked up the girl and taking his backpack along the way, Kakashi quickly moved to the riverbank nearby, spread out a light travel blanket on the ground and placed the girl on it, putting his vest under her head. He thought for a moment and covered the girl's overly bare legs with the blanket. He then took off all the extra gear that would otherwise be in the way. He also noticed that the girl had dropped one of the getas somewhere, returned to the ill-fated spot and retrieved the loss.

Now he had to examine the wounds.

The scratch on the neck did not raise concerns, but a brief diagnosis of the wound (he was not mistaken and the blood had nothing to do with the slit: there was a deep puncture wound just under the chest) made him raise his eyebrows in bewilderment: the wound, as far as he could tell, was so deep that it seemed incompatible with life. But the girl, though unconscious, was definitely alive.

In any case, he decided, the wounds needed to be cleaned and treated. He built a fire and heated up some water in a bamboo deck. He also prepared some rag, ointment and plaster. However, unfortunately, the moment he began to carefully, trying to maintain decency, move the two parts of the cut dress fabric to the sides, the girl stirred, and then abruptly opened her eyes.

She jumped up as if stung, trying to hit Kakashi, who imperturbably evaded with an effortless movement, then crawled backwards until her back pressed against a tree. With a hunted look, she gazed around the place where she found herself, and suddenly snatched a kunai lying nearby, which had apparently slipped out of the open bag. With trembling hands, she pointed it at her saviour.

"Stay back!" She was on the verge of hysteria.

'And this is what you get instead of gratitude' — Kakashi thought aggrievedly and raised his hands in a conciliatory manner.

"I'm not going to harm you, girl. How about we put this toy aside before you injure yourself..." He had no idea how right he was. "... and just talk? I didn't eliminate those four to take their place."