Chapter 11. If You Don't Try - You Won't Know

It finally dawned upon Kakashi what Hiruzen meant.

"Let loose completely," was all he could think in frustration. Although, if he had guessed earlier, what would it have changed?

Arina stared with all her eyes at the formidable man standing in front, a head taller than his companions. Even Kakashi looked like a youngster next to him — he was genuinely huge. The severe appearance was emphasized by the terrible scars on his face.

"Kakashi, as you've probably already guessed, we've come to invite the girl... to us," Ibiki said subtly.

Kakashi's eye flashed badly:

"Why, even personally... You shouldn't have bothered. And... is that really necessary?"

"In light of what you've told Lord Third, I'm afraid so," Ibiki replied calmly, ignoring his sarcastic tone.

Kakashi winced. He would have wished not to mention Orochimaru, and now they had what they had...

"You can just speak here."

Ibiki shook his head:

"You know perfectly well that it doesn't work that way," he said and took a step forward.

Kakashi tensed further and hunched a little, reflexively lowering his right hand to where the kunai holster usually was, and with his left blocking the way to Arina. Arina felt the threat coming from him. She had almost forgotten about this side of Kakashi.

 She had almost forgotten about this side of Kakashi

Ibiki raised his eyebrow.

"Hatake, is that a challenge?" he asked coldly. Unlike him, his colleagues, who had not uttered a word after the greeting and now briefly exchanged glances, looked seriously worried.

Kakashi stared back darkly and determined, but did not answer. At that moment, Arina suddenly slipped past him, turned to him, touched his shoulder and smiled in a conciliatory way:

"If these gentlemen want me to come with them, I think I'd better go."

Kakashi looked at her almost with despair:

"You don't understand!"

"I only understand that there will be trouble if I don't go," the girl replied quietly but decisively.

Ibiki chuckled:

"Why, this girl is much more sensible than you. Don't worry, if everything goes well, you'll get her back in a day, two at most."

Kakashi pulled himself together with effort.

"Okay, but in that case I'll be with her."

"It's out of the question. Besides, you have other obligations — don't forget about that," Ibiki looked impassively, folding his arms on his chest.

Kakashi began to lose his temper again, but Arina wrapped around his arm and said soothingly:

"It's okay, Kakashi."