Chapter 13. Seigenryu

Despite Ibiki's assurances, Arina did not return in a day, not even two. Kakashi was glad to be distracted by his new mentees, although his somewhat absent-minded state almost made him fall for the world-old prank with a doorway, and their acquaintance did not work out a little at first. But later he somehow imperceptibly got involved and even for the first time since he became a mentor he credited the students with successfully passing the test known as the "Survival Exercise".

However, in the evenings, he circled around his small dorm room like a wolf in a cage. He never returned to his house — only popped by a couple of times in case he and Arina missed each other.

On the third day, after sending his team on their first and rather simple mission — they were unlikely to be in any danger with weedery — he sneaked off home and again made sure that Arina had not appeared there. Then he went to the interrogators, but was surprised to find the headquarters locked. After that, he already went straight to Hiruzen.

The office of Lord Third turned out to be empty as well, so Kakashi randomly poked into other reception rooms — first to where the main work on processing tasks was usually going on, and when it turned out that there was no one there either, he headed to the one where Hiruzen usually conducted longer negotiations or less formal receptions. Practically barging into a small room with a laconic traditional interior — he was slowly beginning to lose patience — he stared in surprise at Arina, who, apparently, at that moment was peacefully chatting with the Hokage over a cup of green tea, sitting on a tatami floor by a low table.

Arina turned at the sound of the door opening. When she saw Kakashi, she exclaimed joyfully and jumped up. She ran up to him, hugged him and pressed her face into his chest. Kakashi was a little taken aback — he was ready to go on rampage by that time — but still hugged Arina tightly in response, in turn burying his face in the top of her head.

Lord Third looked at them with interest and a little inquisitively. Doesn't expect anything, does he? Well, well...

Finally, they tore apart. Arina raised her face and looked at Kakashi bright eyed, and he was relieved to note that although she looked a little tired, there were no traces of hardships she had undergone. However, he still cupped her face in his hands and gently asked:

"Are you alright?"

Arina nodded composedly and then, to hide her sudden awkwardness, hugged him again.

At that moment, Kakashi finally caught himself and looked over her head at the Hokage, who was still watching them closely. He got noticeably embarrassed, finally remembering where he actually was.

 He got noticeably embarrassed, finally remembering where he actually was

"Hiruzen-sama, I... apologize for the intrusion. May I know what's going on? Why is it taking so long?"

"Come and sit down, Kakashi, there's no sense in standing when you can sit."

When they sat down, Lord Third began to speak:

"As planned, we checked our outlander. In particular, her memory had to undergo a deep analysis..."

Outlander: Found on the Path of Life. Part 1On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara