14. sparks fly

━━━━━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━━━━━

and you stood there in front of me,close enough to touch,close enough to hope you couldn'tsee what i was thinking of

close enough to touch,
close enough to hope you couldn't
see what i was thinking of

━━━━━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━━━━━

Chloe awoke later than usual on Christmas morning. Instead of pure darkness, she opened her eyes to the golden glow of the sun reflecting off the water and passing through the windows.

Lifting her head slightly, she viewed three other beds, empty and made, the bed next to hers containing Daphne, and a small pile of presents and letters at the foot of her own.

Smiling at the sight, she sat up slowly and quietly, careful to prevent the crackling noise of sheets to spread throughout the room.

She walked past Daphne's bed on the way to the bathroom to get ready, silently chuckling at her abnormal sleeping positions as her blonde hair covered one half of her face and her arm covered the other.

By the time she had gotten out of the bathroom Daphne had woken. Springing off her bed and shaking the hair out of her face, she ran up to Chloe before she could even shut the door behind her and attacked her with a strong hug.

Stumbling backwards slightly, Chloe managed to pull the door closed as she wrapped her arms over Daphne's back.

"Happy Christmas!" Daphne exclaimed, pulling back slightly to give Chloe room to breathe as a big smile formed on her face.

"Happy Christmas," Chloe replied through her own smile as they both walked over to their beds to open their presents from each other.

As Chloe sat down, she reached over to the end of her bed and grasped the perfectly wrapped present decorated with hearts and neat handwriting, reading From Daph.

Peeling off the wrapping paper and discarding it to the side, she pulled out three fancy, though obviously handmade, bookmarks.

One was a light purple, messily decorated with star stickers and an obscure drawing Chloe guessed was herself. Another was a dark, forest shade of green with the words 'heart-shaped box' written in gold, referencing a muggle song she had shown Daphne. The last one was a grey-blue and was covered in hand drawn stripes, spots, hearts, triangles and smiley faces.

Chloe smiled at the thoughtfulness of the gift. She assumes Daphne had noticed the almost wretched book she carried everywhere, nearly every page of the book had a small fold in the corner as a result of her constant rereading and her lack of a bookmark.

She looked over at Daphne as she opened her present from Chloe. A new copy of The Sleeping Beauty lay open in her hands as she looked down at it, turning over the cover to reveal a small note she had written for her written on the first page.