The Insane Blade CHP. 3

In less than 20 minutes we had made it back to the main town on the 36th floor. Even using a map, it would take a regular party almost an hour to get out of the forest at this time of day since the mobs were stronger at night. Yet Kirito somehow spotted them from miles away and led us around them, and the few that blocked our path were dispatched with a few swings from his sword. It made me all the more curious as to why he was down here in the first place, he seemed like someone that would normally be closer to the upper floors, but it seemed like a rude thing to ask considering all the help he had given me. It was time for me to do something to repay even a little bit of that.

"Hey Kirito, where are you staying right now?"

"Umm...I've got a room, but...I think I'll just crash somewhere nearby for tonight."

"Oh, in that case, the inn I'm staying at would be perfect for you! The rooms are nice and they serve my favorite cheesecakes!"

"Haha, in that case, lead the way."

Leading down the main street, I, unfortunately, had to deal with the players who did recognize me and gave Kirito a dirty glare after I told them that I would be teaming up with him. It was an embarrassing moment, but the sly smile on Kirito's face never left.

"Seems like your pretty popular Silica."

"No...they just want me to act as their mascot. They always called me exaggerated nicknames and I ended up letting it get to my head, and because of that-"

As I look down with the heat building back up in my eyes, the warm sensation from earlier enveloped my head. Looking back up, Kirito was gently patting my head with a look of complete confidence.

"Don't worry, by this time tomorrow you'll have Pina back. I'm sure she also can't wait to see you again."

Wiping away the tears from my eyes, I nodded as I returned a smile and continued to lead us over to my inn. I was hoping we wouldn't have any more issues, but reality wasn't so kind.

"Oh my, is that Silica!? Oh, how are you?!"

Shuddering at the sound of her voice, I turned towards our left, where I saw the party I had left earlier who was leaving a bar, presumably after splitting the item drops after today's hunt. A few of the members waved towards me, but they had awkward expressions on their faces as Rosalia, the red-headed polearm user, began to walk over to us. However, as soon as she took the first step, I felt a chill emanate from my right, and Rosalia stiffened up for a brief moment with a grimace on her face. But the sensation disappeared as if it had never happened in the first place, and when I looked over to my right, it was just Kirito with his usual aloof look.

When I looked back over to Rosalia, she was shaking her head and put on a cynical smirk once she noticed my gaze, striding over to us. Sighing in resignation, I turned towards her.

"Hi, Rosalia...I'm doing just fine..."

"Oh that's great to hear, we were so worried that something happened to you after you up and left the party like that. Unfortunately, we already finished distributing the items so I'm afraid we don't have your share anymore...wait a moment, I don't see your little dragon friend around...don't tell me..."

"Pina died while saving me...b-but I'm gonna get her back!"

Her smirk had turned into a full smile as a condescending light burned from her eyes.

"Aw, that's such a shame...but if I'm not mistaken the item to bring back pets is all the way up on the 47th floor! Isn't it a bit too dangerous for you to go up there and clear it all alone?"

Suddenly stepping from behind me, Kirito came in between me and Rosalia. I couldn't see his face, but Rosalia suddenly flinched once she looked up towards him.