The Best Birthday [☁️]

🚩  Content Warning-ish: Slight mention of smut towards the very end. I would consider it lime-y. 🚩

Dingggggg! Your coffee maker chimed, letting you know that the bitter beverage had finished brewing. You quickly moved to stifle the sound, trying your best to not wake your husband, asleep in the next room.

It was Harvey's birthday today and you wanted to surprise him with the best breakfast-in-bed he's ever had! Then again, you had previously realized that he probably had never been made breakfast-in-bed. Nevertheless, it was his first birthday since you had gotten married and you wanted it to be nothing but perfection.

The fresh duck egg omelets were cooking on your stove, filled with chanterelle mushrooms and spring onions that you had harvested yourself, saving them for this day. This is perfect. You thought to yourself as you pulled a warm hazelnut and apricot loaf out of the oven, filling the room with its gourmand scent. 

You quickly filled two plates with the delicious food, an omelet for each of you with a thick slice of the cakey bread. You drizzled the omelet intended for your husband with truffle oil, then set to making the coffees. You preferred yours plain, maybe a bit of chocolate syrup on special occasions. Your husband had originally liked his coffee plain black but quickly changed his usual order as soon as he tried it with fresh goat milk from your farm. After you had two mugs filled, you bundled up and ran out to your greenhouse for the final piece.

The sun was beginning to rise as you ventured through the snow to the glass building. As soon as you entered the greenhouse, you saw it. The bright yellow flower stood vibrantly in the center of the room, surrounded by pastel dandelions. You grabbed the vibrant daffodil and a few of the dandelions before heading back to the house where you arranged them in a cute blue vase. You tiptoed into your bedroom and set the flowers on your husband's nightstand, right behind his glasses. You then reached into your closet to pull out a long, narrow rectangular box, gift wrapped with a large gold bow. You set it carefully next to the bed and went to get the food. 

Once you had set your plate and mug down on your nightstand, and Harvey's on his, you decided it was time to wake him. You walked over to him and leaned down, placing a soft kiss on his lips, his mustache tickling you slightly. "Good morning, Harv." You smiled as his eyes fluttered open. "Happy birthday."

He mumbled as he woke and you could barely make out a "Good morning, darling," in the mix. Your husband yawned as he started to sit up and let himself slowly wake. "Mmmm, what's that smell?"

"Your breakfast!" You replied cheerfully, handing him the plate of hot food. "You also have coffee when you're ready for it."

"Breakfast? Coffee?" He smiled. "(Y/N), you shouldn't have." He set the plate down on his lap and reached over to the nightstand to grab his glasses while you sat down on the edge of the bed. "What's this?" He asked after putting them on. He picked up the vase with flowers you had prepared.

"They're flowers, love, for you." You watched as he looked them over, his eyes widening.

"How did you get daffodils and dandelions?" He asked, shocked. "It's the middle of winter!"

You laughed sweetly, excited he liked the results of your work. "I grew them in the greenhouse! I remember you liking them last spring, so I saved some extra seeds."

"They are perfect." He smiled at you before leaning over to give you a gentle kiss. "Thank you."

"Of course!" You took the vase from him and set it back down on the nightstand. "Now try your breakfast before it gets too cold."

"Will do, dear, but only if you come back to bed." He patted your usual spot next to him. "It's chilly without you."

Without any hesitation, you walked around and climbed into the bed next to your loving husband. You wrapped your arms around one of his as he started to cut into the omelet. "This looks so perfect, I don't want to ruin it." He said, leaning down to kiss your head. "However, the mouthwatering smell is too much to resist. Is that truffle oil?" He quickly took a bite, and you swore you could feel him melt into your arms. "Mmm, (Y/N), this is absolutely delicious. You did great."

You basked in the praise from your husband as you reached over to grab your own plate. "Don't forget about the coffee, too."

"Coffee?!" Your husband perked up at the thought of one of his two favorite drinks. He quickly spotted it, grabbing it and taking a long sip. "Oh, it's perfect." He grinned, going in for another sip. "You made it just the way I like it."

"I tried." You smiled, thrilled with how happy he was. While Harvey wasn't the strongest or youngest, and he charged most of his patients only a quarter of what he should, he was an amazing husband to you. He was always appreciative and quick to spoil you with love and affection whenever he could. He was absolutely devoted to you, always doting over your every need. On his birthday, you only felt it was right to repay the sentiments.

The two of you ate your breakfasts-in-bed, chatting lightly but mostly focusing on the delicious food you had made. You watched your husband savor every bite. You had been worried that he would find the meal too rich to start off the day, as he was constantly worrying about making sure your family was as healthy as humanly possible, but he didn't seem to mind in the slightest. It was his birthday, after all. 

"Well, this was wonderful, honey." Harvey smiled as you finished your meals. He helped stack the plates together and you set them on your nightstand. "Thank you so much." 

"It's not over yet!" You smiled. 

"Oh?" Your husband asked, both surprised and intrigued. You quickly hopped out of bed and grabbed the large box you had hidden out of his sight earlier. It was heavy for you to lift, so you set it on the bed where he could easily pull it towards him. "What's this?"

"It's your birthday present, Harv." You smiled. You watched as he neatly untied the ribbon and opened the box. You would have just ripped the ribbon off instead, but you appreciated that he cared to keep it nice. Inside was thirteen small bottles of wine, each bottle about half the size of a regular one. 

He picked one up silently to examine it closer. "Oh my." He tried to stifle the smile appearing on his lips as he looked at his other favorite drink. You could swear you watched his eyes flicker back and forth between the wine and his half-empty mug. "Both coffee and wine...my favorites. I should have my birthday more often." He laughed softly.

"Instead of a baker's dozen, it's a winemaker's dozen." You joked as you rested your head on his shoulder. "Each bottle is a different flavor. Once we've tried them all, you can tell me which was your favorite and I'll make you a whole batch!"

"Wow, dear. This is just...perfect." By this point, he couldn't control the giant grin spreading across his face. "Thank you so much. This is the best birthday present." He leaned down again to kiss you, setting the bottle he was holding back in the box so he could cup your face in his hands. He broke away from the kiss to continue looking over the present. "I really hope you didn't overwork yourself with this."

"I didn't." You smiled, trying to nip your husband's concerns in the bud. "But even if I had, you are so worth it." 

"Thank you, darling." Harvey smiled as he picked up another bottle.

You beamed with glee. "Always."

"Mmmm, Starfruit." He looked over the small bottle he was holding before looking back down at you, a new twinkle in his eye. "We'll definitely have to break this out tonight." He winked, causing you to gasp jokingly. He raised an eyebrow playfully while he chuckled to himself softly. He set his hand on your lap, almost suggestively. "You look like you could use a good massage tonight...doctor's orders."

You gasped again. "Harvey!" You squealed jokingly. What had gotten into your husband all of a sudden?! Needless to say, you liked it and where it was heading.

"What?" He grinned. "It's good for the circulation!" You shook your head playfully and leaned over to kiss him. As you did, you moved onto him, straddling his lap as he pulled the blankets on top of the two of you, your lips never breaking.

He gently set his hands on your hips while you wrapped your arms around his neck. "Now this...this is the best birthday present of all." He whispered while he kissed his way down your neck, his hands sliding up under your shirt. You couldn't help but agree with him.