Easily Distracted [ ☁️ ]

Requested by @ghostlyfrog_. I really hope you enjoy this and thanks for the request!

--

You had just finished sewing a brand new collar for your cat when your fiancé arrived home from work. You had been trying to find new ways to spend your time this summer, seeing as you had upgraded to a watering sprinkler system for your crops and had most of your day free now.

"What's that?" Harvey asked as he walked up behind you, as you sat at the dining table hunched over your new project.

You proudly showed it to him. "It's a new collar for Pickles." He held his hand out and you gave it to him as he looked it over in detail. "I had a lot of the cream-colored fabric."

"I can tell, I love it." Harvey smiled, still looking over it. "Did you sew the name, too?" You nodded. "Wow, I'm quite impressed, (Y/N)." He handed it back to you. "I'm very proud of you."

You tried to hide the fact that you were blushing, but you loved nothing more than your fiancé's praise and support and Harvey knew it. You watched as he disappeared into your bedroom. You set the collar down on the table and followed him in.

You laid down casually on the bed while watching your fiancé take off his dressy work clothes. "Darling, have you left the farm at all this week?" He asked as he threw his dirty clothes in the laundry hamper.

You tried to think, but you couldn't really remember if you had or not. Harvey was standing next to the dresser, staring at you in just his underwear as he waited for your response. "I- uh..."

"That's what I thought." He huffed, turning to the dresser and opening the bottom drawer. "Get dressed, we're going to the beach."

"Why?" You asked, sitting up excitedly.

Your fiancé turned around and threw your favorite swimsuit at you. "Because I know you, my dear, and you need more entertainment and mental stimulation than you've been getting these past few weeks." He grabbed his own swim trunks as well.

"What do you mean?" You asked as the two of you put on the swimsuits.

"That is the sixth collar you've made our cat in the last two weeks." He pointed to a basket on your nightstand where the other collars were. "I love Pickles so much, but even I have to admit it's a little excessive for a pet." He walked over and sat on the bed next to you. "We haven't been to the beach in forever, and you need to get out of here for a couple of hours." He laughed.

As much as you didn't want to admit it, he was right. You were starting to go crazy cooped up on the farm with nothing to do. It was fine on days when Harvey was home, as the two of you could often find ways to entertain each other, but days like today when he worked were borderline torture. Your fiancé kissed your forehead gently. "Now, let's get going."

Your fiancé went out to get some towels from the linen closet in the living room while you went to the restroom to finish getting ready for the beach. You looked in the mirror and sighed, knowing you would have to take off your sparkling, beautiful dark purple and green mermaid's pendant. You gently took it off and started examining the shell in your hands.

It was so easy to get lost in its layers and layers of colors and sparkles. There were blue shimmers over a multichromatic green color near the tip and deep purple and pink iridescent glitters above the deepest blue you had ever seen near the base. Even though you had received it a few months ago, the effect that the colors had on you was yet to wear off.

"Darling?" Harvey asked, appearing in the bathroom doorway. "Are you ready to go?"

"Yeah, sorry." You smiled, a little bit embarrassed as you set down the necklace. "I got distracted again."

Harvey set down the things that he was holding and walked around to hug you from behind, wrapping his arms around your waist and leaning his head down on your shoulder. "That's okay, sweetheart." He turned his head to give you a quick peck on the cheek. "It makes me so happy that you love your mermaid's pendant so much."

This only made you blush more as your fiancé let you go and grabbed the towels and beach bag again. "Now, are you ready?"

You nodded and grabbed his hand as you followed him out of the house and down to the beach. It was a nice day out, warm but not muggy. The early evening sun was still high as you arrived and the beach was nearly empty, except for Willy fishing on the docks and Elliott thoughtfully pacing the shoreline.

The hot sand felt amazing under your feet as you and your fiancé headed to a quiet corner of the beach near the shoreline. Harvey laid out the beach towels before turning back to you. "Now, the most important part of the beach." He emptied out the contents of the bag onto the sand, revealing a pile of sunscreens and a couple of large water bottles. "Sunscreen! It's important to protect your skin. Hold out your arms."

Harvey spread a generous coat of the chalky cream over your arms before spraying them with aerosol sunscreen as well. He claimed to have perfected the way to get optimal and effective sunscreen coverage, which was by layering lots of different products. After Harvey ensured that the two of you were thoroughly protected from the sun's dangerous rays, he laid back on the beach towel. "Join me?" He patted your matching one.

"In a minute." You wanted to join him, but something sparkly on the other side of the beach had caught your eye and you needed to go and see what it was.

"Darling?" Harvey asked as you started walking towards it.

"One second, I'll be right back." You hollered back at your fiancé as you headed across the sand.

Harvey knew how much you loved to explore and how easily you got distracted, so this was nothing out of the norm. He generally felt okay with it as long as he could see you and make sure you stayed safe.

You followed the shimmering glint of light until you reached a small pile of salty driftwood and dried seaweed. You reached towards the shimmer and grabbed a shiny, rainbow shell. Before you could look at it for too long, some movement in the sand next to you caught you attention. You kneeled down to see that there were three little worms wiggling out of the sand. You decided to help them by scooping them out. You reached your hand into the sand, but it touched something hard. You grabbed it and pulled it out.

It was a book, a little worn and weathered, but nonetheless very much so a book. You started to open it when you saw a small, shiny gray object near the water. You hurried over and picked it up, realizing it was an oyster. Next to it was a clam. Before you realized it, you had run around the beach collecting a number of oddities and interesting finds. 

You looked back at your fiancé, who was lying back on his elbows and had apparently struck up a conversation with Elliott. You watched as they waved goodbye and Elliott left as Harvey picked his book back up.

You raced over with your collection of finds to show him. "Look, Harv!" You dumped your finds on the sand in front of him.

"Did you find this all on the beach?" He asked, poking his finger around the sandy pile.

"Yep!" You smiled excitedly. The two of you then proceeded to spend the rest of your time on the beach looking at your finds. You knew it probably didn't interest Harvey much at all, but it meant a lot to you that he was willing to spend so much time devoted to making you happy and doing things you like.