Doctor's Orders [ ☁️ ]

This story is requested by the wonderful @peachsonas . I hope you love this oneshot and thank you for the continued support!! Also, if you haven't checked out her work, I highly recommend it!

--

You woke up to your husband's blaring alarm clock as its constant siren sounded in your ear. Seeing as Harvey turns it off after the first ring, you hardly ever woke up to it. You sat up to see your husband fast asleep next to you. You reached over to turn it off before gently shaking his shoulder. "Harv?"

"Huh?" He slowly propped himself up on his elbows. "What time is it, honey?"

"It's almost 8:30." You were confused, Harvey was so punctual. He would never run this late to work. "Are you okay?"

Your husband nodded, sitting up all the way and rubbing his eyes. "Yeah, evidently I needed some extra shut-eye." He swung his legs out from under the blankets and stood up. "No time for breakfast, it seems." He sighed, glancing at the clock.

Your husband disappeared into the bathroom while you headed to the kitchen. While Harvey might not have time to make breakfast, you could whip up something fast for him to eat while he walked to the clinic. You decided that a bacon, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwich would be the best bet for your hardworking husband.

It only took you about five minutes to make the sandwich, so you decided to go talk to Harvey while he got ready for work. He wasn't in the bedroom, but you saw that your ensuite bathroom light was still on. You walked over and knocked on the door. "Harvey?"

You waited for his reply but nothing came. You knocked again, slightly louder. "Babe?" 

Still, there was no reply. You slowly opened the door to see Harvey sitting slumped over on the ground, leaning against the bathtub. Half of his face was clean-shaven (with the mustache, of course), and the other half was covered in shaving cream. 

You rushed in and knelt next to him on the floor, cupping the shaven part of his face in your hand. "Harvey?" You were concerned, you had never seen Harvey like this. "Baby, wake up." 

Your husband slowly blinked his eyes open, taking in his surroundings. "Good morning, dear." He yawned, starting to fall back asleep. 

"Come on." You stood up and grabbed your husband's hand. "You're going back to bed." You helped him to his feet. He was still in his bathrobe, so you led him back to your bed and helped him under the covers. You quickly walked back to the bathroom to grab a washcloth and his glasses. You returned to him and started to wipe the shaving cream off of his face. "What's wrong?"

"I'm afraid I've come down with something." Your husband sighed, fighting desperately to stay awake. "I have so much to do at the Clinic today, maybe I should still go in."

"No, you're staying right here." You insisted. His face was finally clean and you couldn't help but giggle at his very uneven shave. Harvey prided himself on being hygienic and well-kept, so this was not a look had ever imagined seeing him with. "What are your symptoms?"

"I have a sinus infection." He sighed, putting on the glasses you had just handed him. "It's very obvious. Don't worry, it's not contagious, darling."

While it wasn't obvious to you, you trusted Harvey's diagnosis. "What can I do to help with that?"

"Mostly I need rest. Some decongestants and hot drinks would be good too." He smiled up at you. "But don't worry about me, focus on the farm. In case you forgot, I treat illnesses for a living."

"Fine, you make a good point." You laughed. "I already made you some breakfast, let me go get it." You leaned down and kissed his head before leaving to grab the food.

You returned to the bedroom only to find your husband once again asleep. You set his breakfast sandwich and coffee on his nightstand before sitting next to him on the bed. You wanted to let him sleep longer, but nourishment was important especially since he was sick. Plus, some coffee might make him feel better and cheer him up. 

"Hey, honey." You ran a hand through his short, wavy hair. "I brought you some breakfast."

You watched your husband slowly sit up as you helped prop up some of his pillows to lean back on. When the two of you first started dating, you always wondered how Harvey managed to avoid getting sick while working at the Clinic. It seemed that his luck had run out.

You handed him the food and he slowly, but eagerly, took a bite. "Mmm, this is good." He smiled. "Thank you, maybe I do need you to take care of me." He gave you a cute little half smile and you had to stifle a laugh. No matter how long you looked, you couldn't get used to a half-shaved face, crooked glasses, and messy hair on your normally tidy husband. Before you could stare for too long, Harvey started talking. "Darling, would you mind grabbing some fever relievers for me? They're in my medical bag in the living room." You could tell that the food was making him feel better and the coffee was helping him wake up, so you left to go get the medicine.

You brought it back to him and found he had finished both the coffee and sandwich, so you gave him the pills and a glass of water before taking his dishes. You washed the plate and refilled the coffee. You returned to the bedroom to find that Harvey was once again looking dreadfully tired. "What happened?" You joked as you handed him the coffee. 

"I'm afraid these were the regular fever relievers, not the non-drowsy kind." He chuckled quietly as he took another sip of coffee. You helped him set it down on the nightstand. "It's okay though, I need the sleep to get better. I'll take a nap, go get some farm work done."

"Okay." You agreed. "I'll just be outside if you need anything." You gave him a quick kiss. You headed over to your closet to change into your farming clothes. Before you were even able to begin to put on your clothes, your husband was asleep again. You quietly finished getting dressed and headed out to do some yard work.

You didn't have very much to do today, just harvest whatever is ready in the gardens and feed the animals. It only took you about an hour and a half, and you hurried inside to check on Harvey. You set down your fresh produce and goods on the dining room table as quietly as possible to not wake your husband when you heard his distinct hearty laugh from the other room. 

You followed the sound to see Harvey tucked in bed, watching television. "Someone seems to be feeling better." You joked.

"Only temporary," Your husband began to explain in his "doctor-y" ways. "The medicine will wear off soon enough, but it's good to make the most of it." He patted your empty spot in the bed. "Join me?"

You quickly changed out of your farm clothes and crawled into bed next to him. He leaned his head on your shoulder and the two of you watched the television. You looked over and saw his poorly shaved face. "Have you gotten up to the bathroom yet?" You asked, trying to stifle a laugh.

"No, why?" He looked at you confused. 

You couldn't help it, you burst out laughing. "Oh, Harv-" You could barely get a word out in between giggles.

"What is it?" You sick husband quickly got out of bed and hurried into the bathroom. You followed him in to see him staring disgustedly at his reflection. He looked over at you, feigning offense. "You let me go all day with half a beard?" 

"You fell asleep shaving this morning." You continued to giggle, which Harvey eventually joined in with. You watched as he shaved off the remaining part of his beard, leaving behind the mustached doctor you know and love. "I'm so glad that you're feeling even a bit better."

"Me too," He grinned. "But let's not push it. I think we just need to cuddle in bed all day. Doctor's orders." The two of you returned to the room in order to spend the day snuggling in your bed. "Thank you so much, dear," Harvey said sincerely after you were both situated. "You've been a wonderful doctor to me today, darling. I couldn't have asked for better care than this."

"What can I say, I learned from the best." You grinned, which earned you a chuckle and a kiss.