The Deal with the Devil

Chapter 9

"Jason, I need to talk to you!" Jane called out as she walked into their appartment.

"What's up J?" Jason walked out into the living area and took a seat on the white sofa.

"I've been pulled into a preposition. In which I have no choice." Jane declared as she sat on the couch beside him.

"It's in those situations that one has the most number of choices. So what did you do? Get involved in with the mafia or did a drug deal go wrong?"

"Shut up Jason!", cried Jane as she threw a pillow at her brother.

"I just have been blackmailed and I expect my big-shot lawyer to get me out of it."

"Who is it Jane? And what does this man, I'm assuming it's a man because women are the worst blackmailers, want with you?"

"Remember I was talking to you about Daniel, the kid from my school. So I was animatedly discussing my opinions of his uncle with Mary and he heard all of it. So now he wants me to work for him and take care Daniel. Otherwise he'll tell the school board about it and I'll lose my job."

"Ah... So who is this guy. Give me his name, I'll talk to him and sort it out."

"The thing is Jason, I want to do this. I want to help Daniel have a relationship with his uncle. I want him to feel safe and protected."

Silence streched across the room.

"Say something Jason."

"Are you sure J?" Jason leaned across the sofa and pulled his sister into his arms.

"Not really. But I've decided it's something I need to do. What could possibly go wrong?"

"Don't say that J. That's when things start going terribly wrong. You promise to tell me if things start to get uncomfortable for you?"

"I promise."

********************************************

Jane got up the next morning resolved to talk to that arrogantt man. She was going to make that dreaded phone call before it was too late and she had lost her job.

He picked up on the third ring with a gruff hello.

"Good morning Mr. Scott. I'm Daniel's teacher, Ms. Jane."

"Of course Ms. Jane. Did you call to accept the offer?"

Why that... "Yes Mr. Scott, I have decided to help Daniel."

"I thought you were going to help me Ms. Jane."

"Well... Ummm... I.... " His voice held so much sincerity and that she was at loss for words.

"Don't worry Ms. Jane, I was only teasing." his voice was followed by a chuckle

Teasing

Of course. People in his world only teased.

"I'm here to help Daniel, Mr. Scott and you just happen to be the only way I can."

"Delighted to hear that. You can accompany Daniel to my penthouse after his class. That way we can finalise the contract and begin with our first lesson."

This man never asked for anything, did he?

"Yes Mr. Scott. That will be fine."

"Good. See you then Ms. Jane."

"Have a pleasant day Mr. Scott." she rolled her eyes and was about to end her call when she heard him reply

"I will now."

She stared at her phone in disbelief. Unwilling to believe what she had just heard. She got out of it and sent a quick text to Jason explaining that she would be late this evening.

She walked towards the school building, thinking of the uncanny mess she had gotten herself into.

**********

Like it? Hate it?

Tell me about it!

-Silvertongue