[10] CO-CAPTAIN: act one

- LACROSSE FIELD -

A gleaming white light floods the night sky. As the brilliant glow focuses into a bank of spotlights over the lacrosse field, a chant rises up.

"State! State! State!" The crowd chants.

Fists reach into the light, pumping in unison. Amidst the rush of fans crowding the team at the benches, only one face doesn't seem ecstatic over the win: Scott McCall.

- HIGH SCHOOL | LOCKER ROOM CORRIDOR-

Doors burst open and the still chanting crowd fills the hallway. Scott pushes through, searching for--

"Alycia? Stiles? Has anyone seen Stiles or Alycia?"

He turns and unexpectedly finds himself facing Allison. Pressed together in the mob, they look at each other for an awkward second. Scott opens his mouth to speak and shuts it when someone interrupts their moment.

"State! State! State!" His teammate, Brian, screams between them. They both stare blankly at him in annoyance until he finally decides to chant in someone else's face.

"You were pretty awesome out there." Allison praises him.

"Thanks, you too. I mean-- that's not what i meant." Scott stutters scratching his neck.

"No, i did some pretty awesome cheering. You can thank me."

"You did?"

"Totally, i went from 'Go, team, go!' to 'Defense, defense!' without a breath. I brought my A game."

The commotion seems to fade around them as Scott can't help but smile at her effort to charm him. Until Brian pops back in between the two.

"State! State! State."

Scott shoots a murderous glare at him. Brian shrinks away, allowing Scott to return his attention to Allison. But she's down the hall now, Argent with his arm around her shoulder, gently guiding her out with the rest of the dissipating crowd.

Gazing after him, Scott doesn't notice Jackson stepping up to whisper in his ear.

"That's heartbreaking, man. I bet it's been a lot of sleepless nights, huh? You. Your hand. A box of tissues--" Eyes narrowing, Scott resists responding to the taunts. Jackson continues. "You know what, though, McCall? I actually sympathize. Which is why i'm going to make this mutually beneficial. You get me what i want? I'll help you get her back."

"What?" Scott furrows his eyebrows.

"Three days makes it just in time for the winter formal. Think about you taking her instead of me. And think about all the things you'll be able to do to get her out of some tight little dress by the end of the night. See how this could work out for all of us?" He backs away, letting the words sink in. "Three days, McCall."

- HIGH SCHOOL | LOCKER ROOM -

Stepping out of the steam-filled shower, a deeply troubled Scott pulls a towel around his waist. He passes by Danny who changes into his street clothes at his locker.

"By the way, McCall. Apology accepted." Danny says.

"Um. I didn't apologize."

"Every time you got the ball tonight you passed it to me."

"You scored every time i passed to you."

"Apology accepted." Danny repeats with a nod.

Bag slung over his shoulder, Danny heads out. Noticing he's the only one left in the locker room, Scott quickly starts to get dressed. But he has barely zipped up his jeans when he hears footsteps.