twenty nine

I sighed, staring at the sky full of stars. How dull it was me feeling worried about being displaced by my unborn sibling... Up until a few minutes ago I was an only child, for twenty years it was just me. I wasn't really sad, just worried I'd be seeing my mother even less.

–A penny for your thoughts?

–Hi, François. –I turned to look at him with a smile.– Congratulations... on the baby.

–I'm guessing you didn't take the news well?

–No, no... it's nothing like that.

–It would be understandable if you didn't like the news, totally normal. I mean you just found out about your mom's relationship and now you're having a sibling? It's a lot to take in.

–Yeah... but I'm genuinely happy for you two.

–Thank you. –we stayed silent for a couple minutes until he broke it.– Y/n, I don't want you to think we're pressuring to accept this new family thing... I tried to convince your mom to tell you we were dating since the beginning but you know how stubborn she can be.

–Yeah, I get that from her. –we chuckled.

–I know you just met me and as I said, I don't want to pressure you into accepting this but I'm here for you, okay? I'm not trying to replace your dad and I know I never will but if you want to... eventually, when you're ready, I can be a father figure to you as well. As I said, only if you want me to...

Wow, I guess he really do loves my mom...

–Thank you. I really appreciate this. –I smiled without showing my teeth and nodding. We stared at each other and after a few seconds of doing so, we hugged, it felt natural yet necessary.

–Seems like someone's waiting for you. –he said breaking the hug and looking at the opened door behind us. Chris was standing there.– I'll leave you two alone.

–Merci, François.

–De rien, ma petite.

He got inside, patting Chris' back along the way and then Chris walked up to me. I could tell he was a bit unsure about what to do or say but I smiled, embracing him, wrapping my head around his body maintaining eye contact.

–Are you okay, beautiful?

–Yup. –he stared deep into my eyes, trying to figure out if I was telling the truth.– I'm being honest. –I chuckled.– I promise.

–I wanted to come here first and your mother did too but François got ahead of us. –he smiled.

–I'm glad he did, he's a nice guy... –I stared to the woods ahead of us. You could see the stables and pool from this balcony, they were opposite to each other yet both were right at the beginning of the woods.

–So now you like him?

–I never disliked him I just needed to know him better. I still do but now I have a better idea of how he's like.

–I'm glad, gorgeous. –I sighed.

–I called your friend. –I turned to look at him with a subtle smile. He hummed, wondering who I was talking about.– David Whitaker.

–You did? –he smiled widely and I nodded.

–Yup. I guess I know have a manager and we'll be working on a few songs when I go back to Boston. Although he... –Chris started excitedly laughing and picked me up, spinning me around and simultaneously cutting me off.

I began laughing at how excited he was, it was actually really cute. He put me back on the ground and hugged me tight. My mom appeared with a brow lifted and confused look on her face, asking us what was happening. I told her about signing a contract with David and she got excited as well.