Birthday

I fell back against the table in exhaustion. My heart felt like it was about to beat out of my chest and my breathing was erratic.

I was so tired. I didn't know if I could keep going through this cycle of pain, over and over again. I have helped many other people in this situation but never imagined it to be like this. I could feel this searing pain coursing through me and I didn't know how much more I could take.

"One more time Sakura." One more time. One more. I could do this. Gritting my teeth, I pushed myself up into my elbows and pushed with all my might. After a moment all the pain and pressure was gone and the cries of a newborn filled the room.

I fell back against the table again but it was with relief. I closed by eyes and smiled, still trying to get my breathing under control. Hearing my child's strong healthy cries made the pain all worth it.

Sasuke, who had been by my side the whole time,  had stepped away to watch over our baby while Karin cleaned and swaddled it. She then passed the baby to Sasuke and he slowly made his way over to me.

He laid the bundle into my arms gently and quietly said "it's a little girl." My breath hitched in my throat. I was so happy but couldn't help but feel a twinge of fear. Fear of disappointing Sasuke with his first born not being a male Uchiha heir.

"Sasuke, I-" but I was cut off. "Thank you Sakura. For giving me this, our daughter" he said lovingly as he stroked her round pink cheek with his index finger. Warm tears slid down my cheeks and the fear and worry was gone.

"What should we name her?" I asked Sasuke. He couldn't take his eyes off of her, I could see the depth of his love just by the way he looked at her. He scooped her back in his arms and held her close as he walked around the room. "Sarada. Sarada Uchiha" he stated and then looked up at me. I smiled warmly at him nodded my head in agreement, "Sarada."

"Papa!" I heard Sarada cry from the hallway. It pulled me out of my thoughts. She had been waiting anxiously by the door for Sasuke to get home from his mission.

I dried my hands on my apron and walked to the hallway to see Sasuke crouched down hugging our daughter tightly. Her little arms were stretched up to wrap around his neck and she buried her face in his hair.

It was still amazing to me to think of everything Sasuke had gone through and everything he had done but he was now a father and my husband. I was very proud of him.

He stood and walked over, wrapping his arms around my waist and kissing me deeply. "Well hello to you too" I joked as he released his hold on me. "You're just in time."

Sasuke bent down and scooped Sarada into his arms before following me back into the kitchen to sit at the table. I lifted the cake, iced and topped with strawberries, and carried it to the table. There were four pink candles lit on top.

Sarada's face lit up, grinning ear to ear. She leaned forward on the table, resting her weight on her hands.

"Happy birthday Sarada!" Sasuke and I kissed her on each cheek and then she blew out her candles.