Chapter Twenty Eight

Coffee?”

Her bag dropped from her fingers, she didn’t even try to stop it, it just landed with a delicate thump onto the oak floors next to her sofa. She carried on walking toward the kitchen area.

He bent to pick it up, folding it neatly onto the coffee table, “Should you be drinking coffee now? It’s late. Do you not have decaff?”

She laughed without humour, “Decaff? That’s what you’re worrying about now?”

He puffed out his cheeks in agitation, slowly releasing a deep breath in order to calm himself. “Have you not got anything stronger? I feel like I need a beer.” He pulled off his tie, and folded it neatly next to her handbag, opening the top button on his shirt.

Pulling a cold beer from the fridge, she popped the lid, and brought it back into the lounge, to set in front of him.

“I’m just going to change.”

She headed for her bedroom, pulling out her tracksuit bottoms, and a heavy hoodie, before jumping into a red hot shower.

Needles of scalding water pierced at her porcelain skin, but she just leant against the cold tiles at her back and let it wash over her. Perhaps she really had become a whore, she certainly felt worthless to Jayden right at this moment.

His refusal to answer any questions had to be the final straw, she just couldn’t tolerate a life like this – and it would be a life. She knew if she took this, that their relationship would never progress into what she wanted it to be, but she’d never leave for as long as she had him.

She would never change him, he would always be too damaged to love her, too controlling to let her be. He would hold her own love over her head and take everything that she was willing to give him.

But he’d never give her anything back except pleasure.

And pleasure would never be enough to keep her happy, but it would always be too much to let him go.

Her heart shattered as she let go of the hopes and dreams that she’d harboured for so long, not even really feeling the water pierce at her skin when it paled so much in comparison to the blistering, crippling pain that was happening in her soul. Doubling over into tears, she fell to the shower basin floor, pulling her knees against her chest and letting the sobs pound from her throat.

                         ********************************************

Tears ran dry and the shower ran cold before Tori pulled herself up from her spot on the shower floor.

She was numb as she towelled dried her body and her hair, silently pulling on the comfortable clothes that she’d laid out for herself. Cleansing her face with a wipe, she studied her bare face in the mirror intensely.

Her violet eyes were blank, staring back at her from a sullen, pale face. How had this happened in a single week?