CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

"It was Toby?" Laura asked, a shocked expression planted across her face as she looked down at the body on the stretcher. They had removed the bloodied Ghostface mask when her and Sidney arrived. Sidney wrapped her arm around Laura as she let out a pain sob, she turned away. "I can't believe it. How?"

Dewey turned to the girl. "I'm sorry, Laura. I really am".

The Stab-A-Thon had been shut down and all those who had attended were now at home - police cars were parked all around the property. Under a white sheet on another stretcher was Isla, the sheet was covered in blood and her arm was hanging out of the side. Her parents had been notified and were on there way now to confirm if it were her or not. Laura turned and looked over her shoulder as a bright red light flashed from the police cruiser which was then followed by a blue flash, she looked at the body. She had called her mother and sister and they were now on their way. She turned back.

Stephanie arrived shortly after the phone call. She came running through the crime scene and grabbed her sister and pulled her into a hug. Laura hugged her back and when she felt the comfort of her sister she let out a pained cry and dropped down to her knees on the ground, Stephanie followed with her. She never once let her go.

"Shhh, it's okay. It's over now" Stephanie said to her sister quietly. Stephanie looked at Sidney and the others and smiled softly and nodded. She mouthed thank you and closed her eyes and hugged Laura more. She pulled her up to her feet and turned and began guiding her back to the car that was parked nearby. "I'll get you home and everything will be all better".

Her phone rang in her pocket and Laura sniffled and answered it when she saw it was Wade.

"Wade, hey" she said softly.

"Laura! Is it true?" He asked in a hurry and she said it was and he let out a little cry. "Jesus Christ, are you okay? What happened?"

"I'm- I'm okay, I'm just. I don't know, Wade. I don't know-"

"Come over to my place. We are all here, it's safe and quiet. Clancy is on her way over here shortly and so is Emily. She was at the party" Wade said. Laura glanced to Stephanie who was watching her closely. "Just come over".

"I didn't even know Emily was here, I thought she would have avoided it".

"Get dropped off. We are all here just trying to process this and it's better to be with friends right now".

She nodded. "Yeah, okay. Okay goodbye".

Laura turned to her sister and sniffled once more and put the phone into her pocket. "Hey so change of plans, we are going to Wade's house. Everyone else is there and I don't want to be around mom right now. Last thing I want to listen to is her bitching and complaining".

Stephanie frowned. "Are you sure that's a good idea right now?"

She nodded. "I'm sure, I need my own space right now".

Stephanie was reluctant but nodded. "Anything you need, of course".

Sidney looked down at the hooded body, the white Ghost Face mask had specs of blood scattered across the front of it. Dewey and Gale stood beside each other looking down at the body also, Kirby was standing back and Judy was interviewing those who remained. She lifted her head and looked over and watched as Stephanie lead Laura away to the car that was at the main gate, her mother was standing by the car looking at her daughters as they approached. They climbed into the car and drove off.

"Something doesn't seem right" Sidney confessed.

Gale frowned. "What do you mean?"

"This was too easy. It's never been this easy, he exposed himself like that to you both like it was nothing. Remember Charlie and Jill?" Sidney looked around the group, Kirby was standing closer now listening in. "They planned everything out and still Jill ended up being the one to call all the shots. What if this was just to distract us?"

"We need to get to Laura!" Sidney said in a panic. "Something feels different this time, like he's been one step ahead the entire time".