CHAPTER EIGHT

"So how has New York been?" Dewey asked Sidney, they sat across from each other in the living room while Gale prepared coffee in the kitchen. She occasionally listened in to try and find out any news worth keeping for her latest instalment.

Sidney said softly. "It's been okay. It's been slow, I do miss home though".

"I could imagine" Dewey replied.

"How about you? How are you and Gale?" Sidney asked.

Gale looked on from the doorway, they weren't aware of her.

Dewey smiled. "Really good. Things have never been happier. I wish Tatum could be here to see you, she asks about you a lot. But we sent her to stay with my mother until all this is sorted".

Sidney understood. "Of course, this is no place for a child right now".

Gale fetched the coffee and then entered. "I agree. We can't risk her being here".

Jennifer followed in after Gale and Gale sighed and rolled her eyes.

Sidney and Gale watched as she went and sat down next to Dewey who slid away from her slightly.

"How old is she now?" Sidney asked.

"She's ten" Dewey said and Gale smiled. "She's got Gale's eyes".

"And your attitude".

Sidney smiled and looked down. She never thought about having children. But she understood the want, the need to create life and guide it and love it. But she couldn't have it. No matter how hard she tried.

"She seems so amazing".

Dewey's radio roared.

"Come in Sheriff Riley, I repeat come in Sheriff Riley!" Hicks said in a panic.

"This is Sheriff Riley, go ahead" he said into the receiver.

"We've got another body, Sheriff. Out at the parking garage near the city square. It's bad Sheriff, really bad" she said. Gale and Sidney looked at each other than Dewey with worried expressions. Dewey tensed and then stood up.

"10-4, on my way!" he replied.

Gale and Sidney followed him to the front door. He hurried out, climbed into the cruiser and turned the sirens on and drove off quickly. Leaving Sidney, Gale and Jennifer in the house alone.

Sidney looked distressed.

She prayed it was an isolated incident.

Behind them in the kitchen Jennifer's phone started ringing, she gave Gale a look then walked off to answer it.

Gale spoke quietly. "Walking hex" she spat.

Sidney giggled. "She means well, she's harmless".

Jennifer walked back into the room with the phone up to her ear. She pulled it away and covered the speaker.

"It's for you, Sidney".

She handed the phone to Sidney who tucked her hair behind her ear and then lifted it. "Hello?"

"Hello, Sidney. Remember me?"

Sidney's heart slammed against her ribs with such force she believed it would burst from her chest. The pain radiating from her chest was strong, it almost knocked her straight down to the floor right there and then. Her mouth went dry then she lost all sense of taste. Then came the urge to throw up all across the floor. But she swallowed the lump that had formed in her throat. Sidney stood up and walked across the room slowly, her face locked in a serious gesture.