CH 1 Comradery

Tyson finally realised the reason for why Emily and Alan were that touchy-feely when bidding good bye to Max. Ray said his good byes to his friends, though there still seemed to be some kind of tension between them. Max wouldn't meet Michael's eyes and Ray wouldn't look at Mariah. She proceeded to excuse herself angrily from further embarrassment. Kenny could barely stutter a sentence completely when Emily came forward to wish him luck. 

But none of that mattered to Tyson. He was over the moon with the recent happenings. So, so happy that he hardly considered to be angry with his friends for the prank. The charged atmosphere was slowly dispelled as they left the airport. Looking at Tyson half tap dancing on the street was more than enough to make the other Blade Breakers forget about their personal problems, even if for a little while, and laugh.  

"So, where to next?" Tyson asked, walking backwards on the footpath now, facing he friends. "The restaurant at the end of the street,  I hope that's the one he said..." Ray said. "Who?" Tyson asked, but Ray was already lost in his thoughts. Tyson sighed and turned front. The rest of the walk was a quiet affair, just listening to Max and Kenny talk. 

The biggest surprise for the day was yet to come. The hotel Ray led them to was a five star restaurant. The cool air from the air conditioners was a relief from the afternoon sun. The essence of various exotic dishes hung in the air. Ray asked the waiter to be led to the private reservations section. Max and Kenny looked just as lost as him. Tyson decided to take action. He fell in sync with Ray,  who had been walking ahead of them all, talking with the manager. "What are we doing here?" he hissed as soon as he got close to Ray. All he did was shrug half-heartedly. "I don't know about you, but I seriously don't have the money for this folly." He added in haste.

 That was not true at all. Mr Dickenson had designed a complicated way to reward the eight tag teams that made it into the quarter finals this year, based on the team's win as a whole,  the number of tag teams that took part from each team, Bladers who had lost their last tag team battles, and other criteria that made his head spin, though Max and Ray understood it just fine.

 When he had met the chairman after the reward distribution, he had angrily voiced out his concerns that this weakened the team spirit, creating superior-inferior complexes between members, increasing insecurities among the newer Bladers, and all that. And maybe he had overstepped himself, a bit more than a tad bit, for it had ended with Mr Dickenson coldly reminding him that he was the chairman here and he would do as he sees fit. He had not spoken to him since. When he had suggested that they divide it equally among themselves at least, all he had received was polite refusals, much to his chargin. 

 The Blade breakers had obviously come out as the richest among all other competitors, but what bothered him was that he had gotten claim over thirty percent of their rewards as a team. He was closely followed by Max, who had gotten himself a twenty five percent share. Kenny received a ten percent share as he was promised. Ray had drawn upon himself a twenty percent share while Kai had claim over the rest of it, which still lay untouched in their joint account. 

But even if he did have an account balance of seven digit numbers now, it didn't mean he could spend it like water. He could feel Ray's amused eyes on him as he controlled himself from pointing out the obvious, but Tyson ignored it.  

When the manager did show them their reserved table,  it was already occupied by someone. It took him a moment to recognize him first, but it was Max who called out his name first. 

******

"Kai! Is that you?" Max exclaimed as he took a seat opposite of him. He surely hadn't expected to meet him here. As usual, he didn't really reply, but that just gave him his answer. With a dark blue full sleeved hoodie over his usual clothes and his cheeks still bare of the usual red markings, it did take Tyson a moment before recognising him. He had a glass of some juice in his hand which he was stirring, not even acknowledging their presence. Unsure of what to do next, we just looked at each other.