CH 9: Haunting Pasts

Kai!" Natasha cried shrilly. She knew she had panicked, but after living with Amar for so long, she instantly had his voice speaking in her head, reminding her what he would have done. She immediately went to his side, feeling his forehead. He was a bit warm, but noting serious. He was very sweaty and shivered in his sleep. 

Natasha slowly shifted him to the bedroom beside the study, where he could lie down completely and a bit more comfortably. He was way heavier than his slender personality let on. Just like his father, she thought. She switched off the Air conditioning and covered him up with blankets to reduce the chills. She tried waking him up again, but he didn't budge. She sighed before deciding to go and make something warm for him. She had stocked the kitchen with bare essentials, so a strong coffee was all she could make with the available items.

Natasha got a lot of time to think out the situation as the milk boiled over. She found it hard to even admit it to herself. Her nephew, who had looked so strong, confident and self-assured just had a panic attack. Her young nephew who could have been her son too if the genetics were to be considered, had undergone so much trauma in life that a panic attack so strong that it had laid him unconscious. 

And it had something to do with the house, the realisation startled her. She was just sure of it. The way he was glancing at the study before he fell, there was no denying the theory. Which meant something must have happened in his parents' villa years ago. It was nothing but a charred mess of ash and dust now. 

Natasha phone started beeping. It was a call from Hillary. "Hey hon. How was school?" She asked, trying to sound cheerful. "It was fine." There was a pause. "I thought you'll be home today, after the wedding. You promised you'd take me to buy the swimsuits for the performance..." 

Natasha had completely forgotten about that. "I'm so sorry Hil. Just give me thirty minutes, and maybe we could just-" "The shop closes at seven and I would need some time to choose an outfit... It's all right though, maybe we could just plan it tomorrow or something." Hillary tried sounding nonchalant, but Natasha knew better. "Hillary, I really am- "Seriously, mom! It's all right" she exasperated, but Natasha knew her daughter was upset with her.

 "Anyway, I'll be gone for swimming practice, in case you arrive before me." She informed. "I'm so lucky to have such an understanding daughter like you." She whispered. Hillary just laughed softly at this. "Bye mom." "Bye hon." She said before disconnecting the phone.

The milk was boiling now. Pushing her thoughts aside, Natasha hurriedly prepared coffee and went to the study, glad to find Kai awake was already awake.

******

Kai found himself waking up in unfamiliar surroundings. He sat up immediately, and regretted it immediately. His head felt too heavy on his shoulders. He knew his brain actually floated in the cranial fluid, he had his facts straight, but he had never felt his brain floating until now. It was as though someone had shaken his head so much that his brain was bouncing around like a ping pong ball. For a moment he panicked. He was in an unfamiliar territory, with no idea how he got there. Those were signs of danger, for him especially, until he heard the soft voices coming from the next room. 

"-So sorry Hil. Just give me thirty minutes, and maybe we could just-" she went silent again. Kai's memory slowly seeped back in. He didn't know why he had suddenly lost consciousness. He had been fine minutes ago. He touched his bullet wound, but other than a slight wince, there was nothing. Kai felt confused true, but above everything else, he felt mortified. He had grown completely vulnerable in the presence of a stranger. He hadn't been outwardly insulting, but be hadn't been respectful to her either. And here she was, helping him out.