CH 8: Replicating Memories Gone Wrong

It was Thursday evening and Kai was over-pleased with himself. He had finally gotten his way with Mr Dickenson. He had bought the flat for him and in a gesture of goodwill, made him the beneficiary. He hadn't asked for it, for he trusted Mr Dickenson, and most importantly, he didn't care for the money. It wasn't his. Even if Mr Dickenson decides to cheat him, it would only be a blow to Voltaire.

At present, he stood in front of one of the most reputed interior designing and event management studios Tokyo could offer. It wasn't one of those well off brands that were present everywhere in the world, but an indigenous company which rose to prominence with their quality of work. 

He removed his school tie and blazer and put on the hoodie he had brought with him. Slinging his backpack behind him, he headed in. One look at the lobby, and Kai knew he had made the right choice. The lobby was highly furnished, yet it wasn't cluttered. It looked classy, yet not showing off. He wasn't alone though. Two families and a group of officials were already present there. The toddlers were playing around noisily while their parents gushed over the catalogues. The men in suits talked seriously into their mobiles. 

He was immediately greeted by a boy who looked slightly older than him. "How may I help you sir?" he asked, clasping his hands together. "I've gotten myself a new apartment." "Congratulations, sir. We would be very pleased if you choose us to be your interior designers." Kai was already getting annoyed with the guy's sing-along tone. "Whose your best designer?" He asked instead. The boy blinked back in surprise. "Do you already have an idea of what you want. It would be really better if you would go through the catalogues first, before you meet-" "Which way?" Kai interrupted him again. 

Completely put off with his rudeness, the boy said, "I'm warning you though, she's costly. Most people would prefer Ms Katz for something as simple as home decor. She's skilled and reasonable." "I don't like repeating myself" Kai blankly stated in response. He raised his hands in surrender, "All right, all right, you're going to be charged highly just for the consultation. She isn't even available till Sunday!" he cried out in exasperation, before leading him up the stairs.

Kai was hyper aware of his surroundings. The floor was sparsely populated, with two rooms and a longue. He could hear distant voices coming from both the rooms. The longue was mirrored on one wall while the wall adjacent to it was plane glass, showing him the vast city facing the ocean. "Please sit here sir, I'll check if ma'am is free." The boy said with strained politeness, pointing at the lounge.

 He returned back soon, with a booklet in his hand. "I'm extremely sorry sir but ma'am is on a video conference which would end in about ten to fifteen minutes. You could fill the booklet by then. She would ask you to do it after the consultation anyway." He said, placing the booklet in front of him. Kai absent-mindedly nodded him away, for his focus was on the mirrored wall now. One look at it, and he knew it was a one-way mirror, the kind of which were used in police stations. 

Kai blankly stared at the booklet, fighting hard with his instinct to flee. The mirror gave his the creeps, for there was a high possibility that he was being spied on. He didn't like the feeling. Finally deciding not to read too much into the matter, he picked up the booklet, and started filling it up. The questions were random, from asking him for his colour preference to a kind of personality test, asking him to pick a few words or photo. Kai's answers were spontaneous, as though his mind already knew what it wanted.

He was done with it a few minutes before he was called in. The room he was led into was pleasant with cream walls painted with lavenders caught in a breeze. A huge  television was hung on the wall behind the desk. Hanging pots and normal pots were placed in every place it suited. The woman behind the desk looked up at him. "Evening Mr Hiwatari. Please sit. How may I help you?" Kai silently handed her the booklet. "Wonderful," she smiled, taking it from him and going through it.