Control

Art by _sleepy.moth_  on Instagram!  I loved this way too much.

The air was filled with the sounds of crickets, and the sound of wind rushing through the trees.

Illinois insisted on helping Yancy walk to a tool shed. Yancy was hesitant, but Illinois didn't allow him a moment to argue, before putting the fugitive's arm around his neck so he could be used as a crutch. He held the sleeve of cookies in his hand. He still felt childish, but he hadn't gotten decent junk food in years.

"It's dangerous to walk on it for too long, bud. You used it a lot today... Strain could cause your leg to get infected, or just flat out reject the mechanics."

Yancy frowned as he walked alongside Illinois. It was more of a limp, since he didn't feel a need to fake strength anymore. " How do youse know so much..?"

" It's common sense," he said, unlocking the shed door, leading to a slightly messy workshop area. He had car parts, wires, and tools scattered about. He led Yancy to a workbench

" Even with a completely normal amputation, when environments are completely sterile and controlled, it takes weeks for it to fully heal. In the best conditions and circumstances. It's been barely twenty four hours, and I'm sure they had to attach stuff to your nervous system. Which means like any medical addition, it could easily be rejected. Now sit down, please"

Yancy sighed. He set the Oreos on the workbench, before pulling himself up carefully, and sat down. He started to feel the pain come back in dull waves. He figured since he was starting to feel safe, adrenalin was wearing off.

He felt like he should be a little scared or worried, sitting on a table with tools. He felt like some sort of panicked response was appropriate, but he felt oddly safe. Of course, he wasn't strapped down this time, but it might have also been the casual air to things.

The men's casual tone and language wasn't remotely close to threatening. The shed looked fairly standard. Yancy remembered his dad had a part of the garage that looked similar. He cringed a bit at the memory. It all looked so normal...

He watched Illinois get a screwdriver and pliers, and spoke again " So, youse like to tinker and stuff?"

" a bit, yah. I'm a mechanic. Can you put your leg up on the table? Oh don't give me that look, you know which one."

Yancy puffed out his cheeks a bit, and sat sideways so his mechanical leg was on the table.

Illinois got started, finding a small, nearly invisible, panel on his calf. He put the flathead tip in the groove and started to pry it off.

Yancy bit his lip anxiously " Youse ain't gonna damage it or anythin... right?" He asked

" Have a little faith, buddy. I'm no stranger to mechanics. I know my way around anything with metal, wires and gears." he said, as the flat tip successfully caught enough of the metal for Illinois to use leverage to push it up.

The air smelt of gasoline, and dust, Yancy noticed. It wasn't the smell of pies, cookies, or flowers, of course, but it still felt personal. Comforting.

Yancy watched him and wondered how he knew exactly where to find the panel. But he could hack into court files, cameras, and even the tracker itself. Him having access to the blueprints wasn't unbelievable. He tore open the bag of oreos, but with little control of his right hand, it ripped too far, and more cookies then he was willing to part with, fell on the floor.

It was just cookies, but it frustrated him. He couldn't even do simple tasks.

Illinois tsked " Don't worry too much about it. I got more inside"