Free Fall

Art by _sleepy.moth_ on Instagram. Love ya, Moth!

Illinois was sure of it now, the people in the car were after them. He wasn't sure what they wanted, considering it wasn't a government vehicle, but he didn't want to find out.

"Hold on!" He said quickly to Yancy, before yanking the steering wheel to the side, around the car and off of the road. The car screeched loudly from the sharp turn, as Illinois maneuvered into the dirt and grass just long enough to pass the gray car.

The sound of a small thump and Yancy grunting made him cringe a little, but it didn't sound like he was hurt too bad, luckily.

If all his research was worth anything, they wanted him to panic and slam on the brake. Maybe there was even a second car nearby, ready to help corner them. He stepped on the gas and pulled back onto the road, his knuckles white as he gripped the steering wheel.

"Yance, we got a car on our tail, I need you to hang on for dear life and keep lying low. I'll take care of the rest" He tried to keep his tone relatively calm, not wanting Yancy to panic more than he already was.

It honestly wasn't too hard to keep his tone calm though. Illinois had prepared for years for this. He had been anticipating this.

Not the car chase specifically, but someone like Yancy. The possibility of running. He had had tried to map out every possibility. He had tried to cover every base he could.

The anticipation made him anxious. Now that he was here, there was some odd form of fulfillment. He had recently started realizing waiting for bad things to happen often was more panic inducing than bad things actually happening.

"I-Ill do my best" Yancy grunted from the back, with slightly panicked breathing.

-

S and P had called the other two as soon as they left the facility. S and P would head to the closest, most likely interception spot. While J and F would try the edges of town.

None of them had high hopes of finding the right car and intercepting it, since there were a few possible routes and they only had two cars, but by some miracle S and P had found it.

The tech-savvy one had seen a car that had been easy to glance over at first, but he knew someone trying to be discreet when he saw it.

A careful 1mph above the speed limit, not enough to risk getting pulled over, but enough to get out of a situation. Bags stuffed into the back almost like a road trip, but also stuffed down to be less noticeable. To try not to catch any curious eyes. No personalization on the car.

He had only seen one figure in the car, but hiding the cyborg was a logical thing to do, so that didn't throw his theory off. He had told P to tail the car for a little, so he could confirm.

The driver had kept glancing in the rearview mirror, with a certain sense of purpose. He seemed more... sharp, in a way, than a guy simply traveling. S radioed J explaining that he was fairly sure this was the car, as P had pulled off down another road to try to put the driver into a false ease.

J and F headed to their spot to try to help P and S corner the car.

If this all worked out, this time tomorrow they'd have a decent chunk of cash, and could finally leave this whole uncomfortable government mess behind them.

-

They were moving fast now. Far faster than the speed limit on this small town road.

From the rearview mirror Illinois could see the gray car speeding behind them, and a black one close behind. Also not government issued, but with the same suspiciously tinted windows.