Chapter 1: The Flashback Pt. 1

I've always felt a bit odd when it came to the word 'family'. When I was little, I was led to believe that word meant to have a mom and a dad, siblings, maybe a grandma or a grandpa and sometimes even a crazy looking uncle. But ever since I can remember, I've never had any of those things. Sure my parents are alive and breathing (I think), but they had hardly been in the picture in like forever. They're more like a sporadic kind of thing, whereas a family was supposed to be there full time. I never had siblings thank God. I wouldn't want them to go through what I had to and since my parents were on the move all the time, they hadn't exactly cultivated a relationship with their own brothers and sisters, if they even had those. For a while I felt like there was something wrong with me for not having a family, but after I met my two best friends in the entire world I came to a huge realization: I was not there alone.

Our famous sleepovers before the first day at school was an event I will never forget for as long as I live. As you guys already know, I met Valery and Jazz almost 10 years back now in our first handball practice. I couldn't even imagine all the things I'd find there: the sport that I love and a whole new family, starting with these two. Sure things are different now, with this whole senior year anxiety, choosing college (or more like they choosing you) and all of our plans for this year but just being there with them, in my bedroom, watching a scary movie and eating junk food I couldn't help to feel like nothing had changed.

"Oh my God, I've been waiting to catch up with you guys for like forever" Jazz screeched excitedly before pooping herself on the mattress in front of the giant TV. It might not have been my cinema room but it sure as hell had good resolution.

That's another thing. I hadn't exactly been around these past few months, but I'll tell you about that later.

"You guys ready for tomorrow?" Valerie asked us as the movie we were watching came to an end. It had been a lame excuse for a scary movie anyways.

"Definitely. Thank God you brought your popcorn machine to your new apartment" Jazz commented before happily taking another fistful of sweet buttered popcorn.

"There were things I was definitely not leaving behind" I smiled warmly to my new bedroom, which was slightly similar to my previous one. "Maybe we should head to bed though" I said after taking a glance at my nightstand clock.

"We better do. You don't want to start off your year with the left foot, right Jessie?" Valerie teased me, earning a hard push from me. I didn't even want to touch the subject, so we just headed to bed and slept cuddling with each other like we had done for 10 years. We'd have a busy day when the sun rises.

So as I was saying before, a lot had changed since I had met my two best friends, but it all had started with them. If I had never met them and become soul sisters, I would have never even considered changing to a more prestigious yet demanding school and simply accept a man in my life that was in charge of me. The minute I met Paul, I knew my life was about to turn around, and at that time it scared me. I didn't use to see change as something positive. My life was good the way it was, or that's what I thought until he showed me differently. The hard way sometimes, if I may say.

Those hallways, though I resented them sometimes, had given me the biggest gift I could ask for. I found support, real friendship, love... that's pretty much what anyone could ask for.

"Hey. It's the trouble threesome" Matt greeted us where the rest of the crew was casually hanging out before the first bell of the year rings. To be perfectly candid, this is why I was so eager to come in early. The boy gave his girlfriend a cute kiss that had us all whooing at them. They were simply perfect.

Ok, so now it was my turn. My smile grew wider when I spotted those beautiful eyes that looked at me as if I was the only girl in the world. I slowly walked to where he was and didn't think twice before planting my lips on his, regardless of school regulations. Screw that, I hadn't seen my boyfriend in months.