Chapter 6: Not following directions Pt. 2

Jessie's POV

He's not here

I was currently sitting on my bed, grasping the blankets for dear life as the small light on my nightstand kept me company. Still the quietness in my apartment was anything but reassuring, as I could hear every little sound in the different rooms.

He's not here, he's not here, he's not here.

I squeezed my eyes shut tighter but there was no getting rid of the feeling of someone being there with me, so I grabbed the phone once again but I tapped on a different contact.

"I need you. Please come as soon as you can" I spoke trembling on the phone and I didn't have to wait that long for them to show up at my door. I rested in my bed quietly, knowing they knew their way in.

"Babe, what's up?" Valerie asked with her eyes filled with concern before crashing me in a never ending hug.

"I just keep hearing these noises and having nightmares. I can't sleep" I explained to my soul sisters and now it was time for Jazz to frown worryingly.

"It's alright Jess, we'll stay the night with you. We won't move an inch" she reassured me while taking Valerie's place, who started wandering around.

"I'll search the place. I'm gonna find that noise whatever it is" my other friend spoke with a determination that brought ease to my soul.

"Thanks" I said while pulling my fluffy blanket's side that had slipped down my shoulder. It was a cold night after all.

The next morning I felt the need to take my girls out for breakfast before school. It was the least I could do, since they had spent the night with me in one bed. I also had the need to chug on a big cup of coffee to regain some of the energy I had lost with my nightmares the day before.

I thought I'd have to worry about Paul noticing my lack of sleep and consequently bug me to no end about what happened last night, but I was in luck. He was stuck all day with freshmans parents meeting, so even our tutoring classes were canceled. Better that way. I could use the space to figure out why the hell I was remembering all these ugly things all of the sudden.

Fortunately school ended up quickly, and I had work to do that afternoon. I had practice with the little ones and hell they knew how to keep you occupied.

"Alright girls, listen" I tried to get their attention but I was getting nowhere with them. "Hey! If you don't listen to me..." I trailed off with the risk of falling into an empty threat, but just my luck I spotted something that could help me out. Or someone. "If you are not in your circle by the time I count three, the monster of the fields will come to eat your feet" I threatened them goofily but it did the trick. Not two seconds later they were each in their circle as still as you could expect from a six years old.

Thank you Mike. You are actually quite believable as a monster.

Practice ended soon after that and, tired as I was, the only thing I had in mind that day was to just go home and head to bed, but someone stopped me abruptly as I made my way out of the fields.

"Hey Jess, wait up" I heard Mike saying to my back so I turned around to give him a confused look. "It's really late. I'll drive you. Just wait for me by the benches" he instructed expecting for me to follow his instructions but I had other plans.

"I can go home on my own, Mike. I know I'm car grounded but I can still hail a cab" I countered but didn't dare to continue with my walk in fear of being dragged back in front of the older girls.

"You know Paul doesn't like you to be by yourself this late. Just wait ten minutes until I'm done" the man repeated the words, but his tone definitely gave away a decrease in his patience due to my stubbornness.