Chapter 2: Anger and smoke don't mix Pt. 2

I stood for what I had said to Nick earlier that day. I did believe my beloved tutor and guardian was the one who was supposed to offer me an apology for always being so uptight, but if I knew him as much as I thought, I also knew that was unlikely to happen. Every single time I had faced him, I had been defeated. So perhaps I should jump ahead and avoid it by apologizing first?

Nah, don't think so. It was also very unlikely to happen.

The problem was that my fight with Paul had actually started to affect my other classmates. Everyone could see he was especially moody and impatient these days, and soon the voice spread that I was of course to blame for it. Well right back at you, because I wasn't exactly barfing rainbows all over the place either.

I had my eyes fixed on the clock on the wall in front of me, watching every second gone by that brought me and the rest of my group closer to the end of Paul's deathly boring class. Later than sooner, the blessed bell was finally heard all around school and I breathed out in relief. It was over... for now. We were all getting ready to rush out of there when Paul's freezing look warned us that it was in fact not a smart move.

"Excuse me people, but the bell doesn't dismiss you. I dismiss you" he spoke with a tone that left no room for arguments, so we all reluctantly sat back down for his finally instructions about some stupid assigment I was sure he had just pulled out of his sleeve.

"Great" I grumbled, feeling extremely irritated by his drunk on power attitude, and it did not go unnoticed by my friends.

"Come on. You're not telling me you guys are still mad at each other" Valerie rolled her eyes at me, thinking I was just playing drama queen as I often do. My friends were well aware of the situation, but they had avoided the subject for some time thinking me and Paul would work out things like we always do.

"Don't know, don't care" I stated coldly while directing my look to my boring book, marking the assignment for next class.

"Jess I know you said more than you meant, but don't you think you should just patch things up?" Jazz suggested gently, always trying to make people come to terms. It was in her blood to mediate.

"Yeah. Plus if you keep pissing him off, you're really going to find him. And I need you in one piece for my birthday party this weekend" Valerie added a good point, but at that moment nothing mattered to me.

"Whatever. Well I have a few minutes to spare before I have to meet with him again" I said and thanked the Lord for giving me a few moments away from that barking orders monster that was my guardian. I was hoping I could use it to spend some time dishing the dirt with my sisters, but I was quickly shaken of that thought.

"Sorry Jess, we're helping the art department with that body positive photoshoot today" Val explained briefly while we ran out of the classroom once Paul allowed us to, but not before growling at us for 'running like cattle'.

The reply disappointed me to say the least. It felt like forever since I had hung out with my friends, and I was in particular need of them recently.

"Is something else in your mind babe?" Valerie asked when I didn't say a word after a few seconds. My mind was certainly lost somewhere else.

"Nah, everything is ok" I answered either way, not wanting to worry them. They were already worried enough about me and Paul.

"Whatever you need, we're here alright?" Jazz offered me gently before leaving me alone with my thoughts. The problem was, I didn't quite know what I needed.

It was as if I didn't know my body anymore. I was clearly craving for something, deep inside. I was craving for comfort, but for one reason or the other, I was not willing to accept it from the person I needed it the most. I had to find some other way to clear my head.