Chapter 9- Night of Surprises

The atmosphere of the village darkened vastly. Everything felt gloomy, grayed by the overhanging feeling of sadness.

Mina and Momo sat outside, looking up at the dark clouds. It was quiet, as only a handful of citizens were working that day. The winters boasted no more than cold weather and less tasks. So what more could they do?

Then, Dahyun popped in front of them, and the answer to their question lay with the young hunter.

"You girls look bored. How about you join me for a quick hunt?"

Mina and Momo looked towards each other. With nothing better to do than sit around, they couldn't pass up the offer.

"Won't I slow you down? My ankle still hurts a bit," Momo asked, looking down at her ankle.

"No worries with that, Momo. If anything, I'd just like to demonstrate to you both. It'll be fun, come on!" Dahyun exclaimed, pulling the two up.

Mina helped Momo with her crutches as she stumbled from the pull. They both chuckled, following the younger girl.

The trio exited the village, stopping before a tree stand.

"Hey! Brother Myungsoo!" Dahyun called out.

A male's head looked over from atop the stand, giving a questioning look. "Dahyun? Going out for a catch?"

"Correct! I'm bringing along my friends, we'll be back with a catch sooner or later!"

"You better," Myungsoo laughed. "It's looking quiet in our general area. You'll have to venture off more in the mountains!"

The girls nodded their heads, waving bye to Dahyun's brother.

The sky became significantly darker as the minute passed. But, Dahyun was determined to get a catch for some meals.

"How long have you been hunting, Dahyun?" Mina asked.

"I've been hunting with my brother since I was about ten. Father always took us, but now he's busy working around the village."

The three girls continued to walk through the snow before Dahyun stopped when she saw a creek.

"Hold on, I'm going to scout the area real quick," she said, climbing up onto a fallen tree. In her pack, she took out an elk caller, giving a blow. "This is called a bugle call. If there's an elk around here, we could probably coax him towards us."

The younger girl continued on, searching for another ledge to climb onto. More bugle calls sounded, yet no response from an elk ever occurred.

As daylight continued to fall, Dahyun was filled with lost hope.

"I'm sorry, I thought I would be able to get a catch for the week," Dahyun apologized, strapping her bow on her back.

"No, it's okay, Dahyun. We still had a good time following along," Mina reassured her. "Let's go next time, surely you'll be able to get something!"

"Agreed, we both believe in you," Momo added.

Dahyun smiled brightly, thanking the two older women. "Well, let's head back, then. Although there won't be any meat for dinner, we still have vegetables and bread!"

As the three girls arrived back to the village, a chilly breeze blew passed them, making them shiver.