Chapter 1: Hiding In The Background

Sometimes you could say that this is the basic story. I fell in love with my best friend but never told him. Fun, real fun. I never told anyone about it because sometimes I felt as if my feelings would change or I didn't want anyone to accidently spill it. 

Along the path though I realized that my feelings would stick despite always being the one who watched him from the background. But I didn't mind. I knew in my heart that if he was happy then I'd be happy, too.

Unless he was always doing drugs then that would be a different story. Then I'd beat him up, half joking about that. Not really.

Still though, I think that remaining with the role of a wallflower suited me. No one paid much attention to me, no one really cared. And maybe I preferred that about me. If I wasn't such a wallflower then all the girls that Kaminari found happiness with, and they with him, might've not gotten together (even though they all broke up in the end at least they seemed happy). Some can be jealous sometimes so me not being noticeable worked out.

Now I stood against the wall as I waited for Kaminari to finish talking with his newest girlfriend, who I didn't bother learning her name, so we could get to class.  But that took longer than it needed. 

I stood there waiting for nearly six minutes until they finally stopped talking. They kissed each other for a solid five seconds before walking on opposite ends of the hall. It didn't bother me but sometimes I wished that he wouldn't take that long. Time is what annoyed me I guess you could say.

"You finally ready?" I asked him as he walked in my direction. 

"Yeah. You know you didn't have to wait for me though, right?" he told me. I thought about it. Why did I wait for him? There's nothing that I needed to do though so maybe this was a way to pass some time? Even though I would still be doing the same thing, waiting.

"Bored." That was my answer. Blunt and simple. I mean, that's basically the truth. 

Kaminari let out a long sigh until he spoke again. "If you say so, Jiro." Inside I laughed a little. He knew that wasn't the whole answer but decided that he would let it slip. I'm sure he didn't know the full truth though. Neither do I.

We walked all the way down the school's hall into our next class. Turns out that we just barely made it in time. After all that talking and kissing they did it's no wonder why we just barely made it. 

All class I didn't pay attention. My mind had chosen to wander off into some unknown reality. I found myself not conscious of my surroundings nor the people around me. I was taken into some unknown reality to myself, but it was peaceful. A small smile even found itself upon my face.

I took out a long sigh and let myself be taken away in another world. This is what I needed. It didn't matter that this was during class, but as I stared up at the clock and counted seconds and minutes down, it drowned everything else away. And that was the good thing. 

During my daydreams I found a version of myself being calm, happier, relaxed, and having fun. Not saying I'm not already, but sometimes daydreams are clearer than reality. 

It all ended too soon though. For once I wished that class was longer so I could live in my head for that time a little longer. 

"Jiro? You coming?" Kaminari's voice caught my attention as I stared up at the clock still despite knowing it was time to leave. 

"Last class but yeah I'm coming." I picked up my bag and pulled it over my shoulder as I followed him out of the classroom. I'm gonna seriously need someone's notes from today's class. 

"I'll see you later or tomorrow!" Fast enough as soon as we got outside, we parted ways. I walked the distance to my dorm and he went to go meet up with his girlfriend.

And this is how it was. I never bothered dating anyone unlike Kaminari. Each time he dated someone new, I was happy as long as he was. Nothing about it ever bothered me. Nothing ever changed. Daily schedule was always the same.

Until one winter a few years later when that "same schedule" took a turn and messed everything up into a wild ride...

(hopefully I can write the 2nd chapter soon enough! :D
-brought to you by the writer of this fanfiction who us an absolute sucker for friends-to-lovers stories)