Chapter Twelve

The Failed Attempt

Bill

I awoke to warm sunlight on my cheeks and the woodland birds chirruping happily in the towering trees.

I groaned, shutting my eyes again and wincing from the aching in my back. Forrest floors aren't very fun to sleep on I assure you.

Suddenly, the sunlight bathing me in warmth disappeared and I knew someone or something was above me casting a shadow.

I immediately opened my eyes and gasped. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I heard a familiar voice. "Wakey wakey, Bill."

I just stared, roo astonished to speak, my mouth gaping open.

I took in every detail of those big, doe-like eyes. Brown and well-alive with glimmering flecks of gold in them.

I threw my arms around him, embracing him tightly.

Dipper laughed and I pulled back to look at him again.

"Pinetree!" I said happily.

He blushed, "Um, thanks for bringing me back to life and all."

I took his hand and held it close to me and said softly to him "That will never happen again, I assure you."

Dipper looked away and nodded slowly. He then stood and brushed the dirt off his blood-stained sweatshirt. I did the same and took his chin and kissed him passionately.

I whispered in his ear choking back a sob " I missed you."

Dipper hugged me and I buried my head in the crook of his neck. Dipper stepped and held both of my hands, his eyes spilling out hot tears.

"So, what have you've been doing since I've been gone?" he asked in between sobs.

My face heated up in guilt, dreading his reaction.

Before I responded, he asked another wide-eyed question "And what happened to your face?"

I reached up to touch the scratches and cuts, wincing from the memory and the pain.

"I just did anything that kept my mind off of you.." I started.

"Like?" Dipper prodded.

"Ingesting human alcohol," I said with a straight face.

"Bill!" he shouted.

I kissed his nose. "I'm so sorry."

Dipper had concern all over his face and his brows were furrowed.

"And your face?"

I took a shaky breath and told him the whole story of my breakdown.

He squeezed my hand and sweetly kissed my eyelid "Well, I'm here now." he said reassuringly.

"So, you won't leave me?" I asked.

Dipper smiled and leaned his head on my shoulder. "I looked at you before and just saw a cold and hostile demon. I got to know you and I began to see a charming and playful teenager. But, I see you now and you are just like any other human." tears continued to fall from his eyes.

"You've experienced so much pain and you're so broken. Yet, you manage to hide all of that. I'm the reason you can love... and I want to be the only reason. I thought a demon's heart was maniacal but, it's the most loving of them all."

I kissed his hair, "So, never?"

He wrapped his arms around me and buried his head in my chest. His responsible muffled, barely comprehensible.

"Never in a thousand years..."