Ocean Eyes

There was something about summer days that brought peace to my body and soul. It could have been summer's sweet breeze tickling my skin or its warm mix of colours. Whatever it was, I was the happiest in the summer. It was a time to celebrate and be inspired by the fruits of our mother earth, and that is how I spent most of my summer days. Carefree, I often found myself at the local park painting my environment to become one with the sun. Flowers, trees and sweet chickadees etched themselves into my canvas, creating a blissful memory of summer's serenity.

Fresh berries filled my pockets, and crisp, sweet apples spilt out of my pockets during my travels through town. Strawberry jam and iced tea coated my tongue with saccharine goodness. The days were long, nights short and waking up in the morning involved a yearning to seize the day.

This year, my birthday fell on the summer solstice. I was thrilled to celebrate it during the longest day of the year. My closest friends and family were to join me in celebration. I planned a beautiful picnic by the lake, surrounded by birds and the refreshing breeze bouncing off the water. I hoped the weather was a delight!

However, everything wasn't always sunshine and rainbows in my life. The great war ended over two years ago, and people were still rebuilding their lives and adjusting to the change. Things were regaining their normalcy, but the effects of the great war would impact my life forever, as they would for everyone. For now, the boys were back to work, and I could read a newspaper without wetting it with my tears.

Since the war ended, my eldest brother Jack and I have had an estranged relationship. He returned as a cruel, drunken monster who seemed to think he somehow earned control over my life. It was a shame to see him be so aggressive and demanding. His once felt empathy vanished, and his advice, which used to be excellent, was now terrible. It was reality, but he was to blame for most of the unhappiness in my life.

I did have another brother, Michael, a gentle soul adoring Birmingham for all it had to offer. Unfortunately, Michael perished in France sometime in 1917. With the death of my brother Michael, my father, who was also on the front lines at the time, was allowed home to comfort my grieving mother. That was the last time I saw my father. Months after, when he was back in France, he caught tuberculosis and died somewhere in a field hospital. It was hard for my mother to continue to live. She felt as if she had lost everything, and while I supported her, I was grieving and screaming in agony inside. A few years passed since I lost my father and brother, yet there was a dull pain in the centre of my heart that would never disappear.

Before the war, my father owned a renowned tile masonry. His company was responsible for some of the most intricate and ornate designs in homes, buildings and abbeys. Besides spending hours painting my surroundings in the park, I spent my time working in the tile masonry office. As my father was no longer overseeing the company, Jack took over the business. Being a professional accountant, he managed the business's financials, while James managed the worksites and business deals. With the whole family working together, it wasn't always merriment. It was a unique territory, but we made it function.

"Adeline, did you finish typing a copy of Mr. Lewis's reference? He's here waiting for it!" James hollered as he burst through the front door, making me jump in my seat.

"I'm still typing it up! Tell him to hold his horses if he wants a decent reference!" Once I finished typing it, James quickly blotted his signature and hurried out the door. He was like a gust of wind. He swooped in, caused a commotion and left in seconds. The office was mayhem on Fridays and Mondays. Fridays were the crew's paydays, and Mondays were when most new projects began, and every man who was a part of the company was here on those days. Luckily today was a Tuesday.

That's why I was surprised when the door swung open, revealing a tall, handsome man wearing a light grey herringbone suit. He was fashionably dressed and took off his peaked hat when he entered. The first thing I noticed was his ocean blue eyes. Mesmerized, I couldn't help but stare at the mysterious man longer than I should have. The second he looked in my direction, my stomach filled with buzzing butterflies, and my palms grew sweaty. Who was such a striking man, and what was he doing here?