Birmingham

Sitting on the evening train headed for Birmingham, my knees wobbled together as the carriage dashed through snowy fields, leaving a trail of black steam lingering in the sky. My stomach buzzed with bees as the train came to a squeaking halt, but when I stepped onto the familiar streets of Birmingham, it was a breath of fresh air. I missed the winding road that led to the old church in Yardley, and I missed the way the wind grazed across my cheek as I strolled down the hill to my family home. By the time I saw the bare branches of the shrubs that grew up the front of my house, distinguishing it from the brick-built bunch, a wave of nostalgia had crashed over me, and I couldn't wait to step inside.

"My sweet Adeline! You're here!" My mother hollered from the kitchen as her Irish accent rushed through the room, almost bringing tears of joy to my eyes. Opening her arms to me, I fell into her chest, feeling her embrace. There was nothing quite as comforting as the touch of one's mother.

"Where's me brothers?" I giggled as I quickly adapted to my old homely routine. I wasn't gone for long, but it felt like I was gone for years, especially since I had to carry myself like royalty at Charles's house. I mourned the carefree life I lived before I knew Charles. I wanted to go back to when I worked with my brothers and spent my spare afternoons painting lilies in the park. Still, I couldn't predict my future, especially only a few days before my wedding.

"Adeline..." My mother's voice went dead as her fingers steadied my face, allowing her to examine my rosy cheeks and the marks that were the same colours as a cold, rainy morning sky. Worry seeped out of her eyes as fast as rain spilt out of a heavy cloud. I didn't need to say anything for her to know what suffering I endured at Charle's estate.

"Over my dead body, will you marry that beast!" My mother screeched as tears rolled off her cheeks and flung to the floor. My eye split into two as I watched my mother cry. Night after night, I listened to her howls of pain as she mourned the death of my father and brother, Michael. She lost a chunk of her heart in France, and I didn't need to cause her further heartache. That's why I wasn't utterly truthful about the horror I experienced at the Darcy manor.

"Your brother is home." Mother sniffled as she tenderly slipped her tired hands into mine, trying to change the subject. It wasn't long before James strolled through the front door, and I was finally in his comforting arms. Covered in dust from the dirt-filled streets, I didn't care. Hugging him was rhapsodic.

"Now that you're home, I can tell you that I left Yardley and Sons." James firmly announced as his lips curled into a smile of pride, and his eyes had a fresh radiance to them. My lips couldn't prevent themselves from raising their corners as I saw a spark in him that I didn't think existed anymore. The tile masonry wasn't a family business now. It was a shame to see the once-thriving company fall apart, but the joyous look on James's face assured me his departure was for the best.

"You know that Jack got the business in a lot of debt. He was gambling with the company's money." James added as he joined our mother and me in the sitting room. Jack was a disgrace to the family name. Gambling with the family and company's money was enough for us to go bankrupt. The shame nested deep in my mother's eyes caused me to despise Jack more than ever.

"I've gotten a job at a bakery in Small Heath to help pay the bills." I couldn't believe that Jack was selfish and stupid enough to risk everything for a game of chance, but when my mother confessed to working again, I wondered how low he would go.

"He put money before family." The words flew out of my mouth, leaving bitterness on my tongue. Jack was my brother, but he was doing nothing but tearing apart the strings that held our family together.

"He arranged a bloody marriage for you! He sells you off like a horse at auction!" Aggression seeped out of James's heels as he pressed them into the floor with each pacing step he took. With flames growing in his hazel eyes, I could see his resentment towards his brother.