Truth

Weeks passed since I rode on Thomas Shelby's beautiful dark-haired stallion. I longed for the freedom I felt on the back of the horse, with my arms wrapped snugly around Tommy's waist. However, that was the last time I saw the Shelby brothers, and it was the last time I was free. My brother James was in the south installing tiles, and my mother tagged along for a change of scenery. They were gone for weeks, and without them, I was living in hell.

Jack, an unstable mess, was snorting 'snow' to escape the mud in his head. He consistently had white residue on his face and a bottle of cheap rum in his hand. The deadly combination caused him to be hostile. It was like walking on eggshells with him.

"Adeline! Take this cheque! Deposit it for me!" Jack squawked as he stumbled out of his office with a vicious squint in his eyes. I would be lying if I said I was not frightened by my brother.

As I took the cheque from my brother, my eyes immediately trailed down to the signature. It was signed by Charles Darcy.

"Why is Charles giving us money? We're not charity!" I exclaimed, wanting to tear the cheque into shreds. It was for a heft sum of money, a life-changing amount.

"What do you think closing the masonry during the war did, eh?" I was confused by Jack's words. The war ended a few years ago, and business seemed to be strong ever since.

"We're in debt, Adeline! This place is in debt!" Jack clamoured, throwing his arms into the air with frustration forming in his fists. I didn't know what to say. I was in disbelief, but a part of me believed it as lightbulbs went off in my head.

"How much?" I whispered, afraid to hear the truth.

"Thousands of pounds! So go cash the bloody cheque!"

"Why is Charles Darcy giving us the money?" Charles was nothing to us.

"Go cash the fucking cheque, Adeline!" Jack's voice ripped through the room, causing the hairs on my arms to stand up. I knew his answer. I was afraid to hear it, but I needed Jack to tell me the truth about Charles.

"You fucking prick!" I hollered at him, wanting to beat some sense into the man I used to call my brother.

"You arranged a deal with Charles. He marries me if he pays our debt." I stated, my voice cracking as I spoke. The puzzle pieces were fitting together.

"Adeline!" Jack hollered, snatching the cheque from my raging fingers before I was able to rip it to shreds.

"It's true then! You bastard!" I cried, slamming my fists onto my desk. A loud bang rang out through my ears as a gush of rage surged throughout my body. I had never felt such wrath before, but I couldn't hold it back.

"You marry Charles, and we are free of debt, Adeline! You will never have to work another day in your life!" I didn't care. Jack's excuses were bullshit.

"I am not marrying him!" I hissed with my foot kicking my desk. My head was hot, and at that moment, I grabbed the cup of tea from my desk and chugged it at Jack. He was lucky it wasn't a fresh brew.

"Marry him, or he'll kill you!" Jack stammered, ignoring the warm liquid that splattered against his skin.

"Kill me?" I sneered. Charles may have hit me, but he didn't have the guts to kill me. He didn't even serve in France.

"Yes, kill ya'! Charles already gave me hundreds of pounds. If you don't marry him, you'll have a bullet lodged between your eyes or a gash opening ya' throat, so choose wisely!" There was no way that this business deal escalated to entailing my demise.

"Jack, I swear to God!" I cursed with panic setting in my blood. If it was true, I didn't have a choice. I would spend the rest of my life with Charles Darcy, the evil, ancient toff who had a chip on his shoulder.