Birthday

I woke up to the sounds of cheer as James and my mother burst through my bedroom door and tackled me as I began to step out of my bed. My mother showered me with warm hugs and kisses, and she wished me a happy birthday. James was not so gentle. He ruffled my hair and gave me the old birthday beats. Typical brotherly love.

"Okay! I'm not that old!" I shouted at James as he punched my arm about 50 times.

"Ya need some extra hits for luck, Addy!" He added as he finally left me alone. As much as I appreciated their early morning birthday wishes, I shooed them out of my room so I could get out of my nightgown and prepare for the day ahead.

We arrived at the gorgeous park by the lake in the late afternoon to prepare for lunch. I was lucky to be surrounded by warm sunlight, blue water and the sweet scent of the outdoors. My girlfriend Lily and her family attended, in addition to some family friends. My mother and I spent the previous night preparing lunch, and I baked my special birthday cake. It took me forever to decorate it, but I knew it was worth it.

"And where did you get the means to buy that dress?" Lily whispered in my ear as she hugged me happy birthday. "My brother's friend, Thomas Shelby. Please, don't ask me how he knew about the dress. I have no idea..." I confessed as Lily rubbed the dress's silky material between her fingers. She was the only one who knew about the dress.

"You only know each other's names, and he sends you a dress? What the hell, Adeline? Who is this man?" Lily was in just as much shock as I was. She was right. Mr. Shelby only knew my name.

"Speaking of the devil." I breathed as I excitedly pulled on Lily's arm, turning her around to see Mr. Shelby for the first time. He strolled over in a three-piece suit and a fresh haircut. He looked like he dressed to kill, and my heart skipped a beat as I watched him approach me.

"Bloody hell, Adeline. You are one lucky woman!" Lily whispered. If only I were a lucky woman. Her breath was full of excitement, and she made me even more nervous than I already was. I shushed her as Thomas joined the two of us.

"I decided to stop by since I was passing through this part of town." He greeted me with his low voice as he shoved his cap into his pocket.

"You're going to roast in that suit, Mr. Shelby," Lily teased, admiring everything about him.

"May I have a word alone, Miss Yardley?" Thomas pondered as his glance met mine. His deep blue eyes expressed little emotion.

"I see you are enjoying the dress," Thomas announced as he eyed the material clinging to my body. The way his eyes danced across my body caused my cheeks to flare red.

"I have to say, your friend was right. This dress is the dress for you." Thomas gave me a sly smile and carefully placed a cigarette between his lips before looking me up and down, admiring the dress and my physique once more.

"Are you complimenting me, Mr. Shelby?" I questioned with pleading eyes. I could feel the tension between us erupt the moment he walked towards me. I lost my head around him as he filled every room in my mind.

"I think I am, Adeline." He mumbled before excusing himself to join my brothers. He had such a mysterious, almost exotic flair to him that was sending me into a craze. Every time he spoke, I wanted to know more about him. Shortly after, everyone ate sandwiches, drank tea and made a toast with a bottle of champagne. Thomas, refused to eat or drink until the cork flew out of the champagne bottle. As much as I adored his presence, he was constantly checking his pocket watch. Something that Lily also found odd. However, the soft breeze grazed through my hair, and I felt amazing. I didn't let any worries get to me, and I felt loved surrounded by my family and friends.

When the sun began to set over the horizon, Thomas asked to walk with me along the lake. The sun setting against the water was breathtaking, and strolling with him would be a perfect way to get to know him better. For the first few minutes, no one said a word. My stomach was full of butterflies, and when Thomas finally spoke, the butterflies rose to my throat.

"Shall we sit on this rock?" He asked, pulling out a cigarette.

"I don't want to get my dress dirty," I confessed, blushing as his eyes ate me up. He took out his handkerchief and lay it on top of the rock for me to sit on.

"Do you smoke, Miss Yardley?"

"On occasion," I responded, sitting beside him. He wasn't as chatty as I thought he would be, but I liked that. Nothing felt forced, and I wasn't thinking of the perfect response every moment.

"What is it that you do?" I asked, wanting to know more about his line of work.

"I'm in business." I nodded, hoping he would elaborate more.

"And you're a secretary?" He motioned at me with his burning cigarette.

"Yes. I worked munitions during the war." I tried to open up to him, wanting him to do the same.

"Are you a good secretary?"

"What do you mean?"

"You work well under pressure? Shorthand, typing?"

"You know my brother, what do you think?" I giggled, thinking about all the times James needed something done in a hurry. It seemed like everything I did for him was a rush.

"One of my secretaries, she's leaving." What was he trying to get at?

"Your brothers need ya anyway. Yardley Limited is quite the corporation." I nodded, agreeing with him. Yes, my brothers needed me, but James wanted out. He didn't want to lay ornate tiles for his entire life.

"Well, my friend, Lily, she was a secretary during the war. She works in a department store now," I mentioned. It wouldn't hurt to ask Lily if she wanted to be a secretary again.

"I'm in Small Heath," Mr. Shelby breathed as grey smoke filled the air between us. I watched his wonderfully sculpted lips hold his cigarette with such ease. He had a beautiful face. His big blue eyes, prominent cheekbones and stunning set of lips made me jealous that I didn't have his striking features.

I nodded at him. I had been to Small Heath numerous times as it was only a few miles from my hometown. It had a reputation for being a lawless, crime-infested town, but crime, poverty and corruption were evident across Birmingham. It was something you grew up with or got used to. I was lucky to grow up with three brothers who protected me from anyone and anything. Some children weren't so lucky.

"Do you have a business card? Maybe we can meet when I'm in Small Heath next?" I was very straightforward, and I hated myself for it. What was I thinking? I was acting as if I wasn't getting married in the spring.

"Head to The Garrison and ask the barkeeper for me." I wondered if he worked or owned the pub? I didn't want to ask him any more questions. From his behaviour, I sensed he wasn't the type to answer too many questions. Helping me off the rock like a gentleman, Thomas and I parted ways. His clock struck a number that stole him away.

Eventually, everyone sang me happy birthday and enjoyed my cake. I received compliments from everyone as they sunk their teeth into sugary goodness. With Thomas gone, I was more relaxed, but I couldn't get him out of my mind. There was something about him that I wanted to open up and explore.