The Dress

To prepare for my birthday, I went dress shopping with my girlfriend Lily to find the perfect summer dress. It was a mission to seek the most flattering dress, and Lily knew I was too picky.

"Yes, Adeline! It looks just as good as the last one you tried on, for heaven's sake!" Lily annoyingly bellowed as she rolled her eyes in my direction. She wasn't even looking at the dress.

"Well, I got one more! And look at the dress this time, will you!" I hissed back before stepping into the change room.

"Will you hurry up and pick a dress! And stop thinking about what Mr. Shelby will think!" Lily shouted to me in the change room. I snickered at her remark even though I knew she was right. I was trying to find the perfect dress to swoon Mr. Shelby in. I was lucky that my fiance was in America for a few weeks on business. If only he would stay there forever.

"Oh, Adeline! This dress! Oh, it's the one!" Lily clapped her hands together as I admired the dress in the mirror. She wasn't lying this time. This dress was perfect. Its soft pink material flattered my skin tone, and its short sleeves and square neckline showed just enough skin.

I spun around in the summer dress, feeling like a princess. It hugged my body perfectly, and I couldn't wait to wear it. However, when I asked the shop owner how much it cost, there was a bad taste in my mouth.

"What? You can't afford the dress?" Lily whispered as I pulled her out of the store.

"No! I can't afford anything in that store! I should have known that before we went in there!" I cursed myself under my breath as we made our way home.

Back at home, my mother scrambled to prepare dinner for her boys when I plopped myself down on the kitchen stool to bother her with my petty worries.

"What's bothering you now, love?" She questioned, motioning at me to help her. When I didn't respond to her question or demand, she said stared at me with her hands on her hips.

"I don't want to marry Charles, Mother. You know that." I cried, knowing he was not the right man for me. I would be miserable if I married him. He only wanted me as his arm candy. There was no love between us. I couldn't even bring myself to look at the beast.

"I know, dear. I know. I've tried to talk to Jack about it." My mother sighed, hating to see me in distress. I loathed the fact that my eldest brother chose my fiance. If our father were alive, he wouldn't have chosen a wealthy, stuffy toff for me to marry.

"I'll talk to him again. I pray he'll call the engagement off, " I nodded, agreeing with my mother.

"I hear James invited his friend from his time in France to your birthday picnic. Isn't that exciting?" She raised her eyebrows at me as if James's friend would be a better potential suitor for me.

"He stopped by here to give something to James this morning before work. He's good looking Adeline, charming too." My mother teased, watching the childish smile spread across my face. How could I deny her words? Thomas Shelby was good looking and charming. But I was engaged, whether I liked it or not. Until I found some way to break off the engagement, I had to be loyal.

"You know, James tells me he runs a successful business. Maybe we can convince Jack that James's friend is a better man for you." I nodded even though these words were new to me. A young and established businessman. How attractive! My mother looked at me with suspicious eyes and a smirk that said she knew everything. Who was I kidding? She was my mother. She did know everything.

"I think the picnic will be a good opportunity for you two to get to know each other! Especially without old Charles there! " Mother giggled as she darted out of the kitchen, leaving me to think on my own.

Friday morning was busy in the office as each man came in for his pay. Before I could even sit at my desk, the telephone rang, and my brother wanted me to do 100 things. I let myself take a breather as the men greeted me as they came in, some tipping their hats at me. They were always so kind to me, and it warmed my heart.

"Adeline, a package came for you earlier. I placed it on your desk." Jack called as the morning rush slowed down. I couldn't bring myself to look at him. Ever since he chose my fiance, I couldn't look at Jack without wanting to thrash my fists at him.

"From who?"

"No name. The delivery boy brought it by." I thought it was odd that there was a package for me at work. I gasped with shock as I examined the large, decorative box placed on the centre of my desk. There was no note or letter to indicate where or who it originated. Quickly, I grabbed the box from my desk and rushed to James's empty office. As my hungry hands ripped the lid of the box, I found a note hidden in between sheets of tissue paper.

"Happy early birthday- T.S.," I read out loud as I studied the handwriting. It wasn't familiar to me, and no one came to mind. However, as I examined the letters on the card, a fuse went off in my head. Thomas Shelby! It must have been from him, but why would a man I didn't know have something sent to me?

Carefully, I removed the tissue from the box and pulled out the long, pink summer dress that I desired from the dress boutique. Adoring the dress, I held it against my body, imaging myself wearing it on my birthday. I couldn't wait to wear it! However, I was curious as to how Mr. Shelby picked the dress. Did he see me trying it at the boutique, or did he know my style and size? I put the dress back in the box as I jittered with excitement. Not only did I love the dress, but the sentimental thought from Thomas sent electric currents through my body. Throughout the day, I couldn't help but wonder why he sent me a gift, let alone the expensive dress. He didn't provide much detail on the card, and I wanted to know his true intentions. I knew that I would have to wait.